What Lawrence O'Donnell Said

If you’re discouraged by the president’s strategy on the debt ceiling, watch this.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • JMAshby

    I recall saying almost the exact same thing when the fiscal 2011 “compromise” was reached, and the president has done it again.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_PZRI4FSGXWS3HSBOCS3V7DKOKI Fred

    I agree with O’Donnell that the dopes in the Tea Party have been roped.

    A clean debt ceiling bill is now likely, and exactly what Obama wanted many months ago.

    Victory for Obama. Saving face and The Precious Speakership for Boehner. Makes me want to cry.

    • http://www.facebook.com/jerry.murphy2 Jerry Murphy

      Shhhhhh! We don’t want the dopes to know they’re being roped. Hopefully they were watching their beloved Fox News while Lawrence O’Donnell was on.

  • i_a_c

    Lawrence led his show tonight with another excellent piece on how the president is on the verge of getting everything he wants.

  • incredulous72

    Now will the “disappointed left” stop complaining about President Obama’s negotiating skills?

    That’s a rhetorical question.

    • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_PUEIHSCZDFTXPGJTCRELL4ZQUU Happy

      Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

      *gasp*

      HAAAAAAAhahahahahahaha

      No.

    • Zen Diesel

      Lawrence definitely gave a point of view that I hadn’t thought of before. If it is true, the Pres. is a really crafty dude. I would like nothing more than to see the Republicans take it on the chin for this mess.

    • http://twitter.com/bphoon Brian C

      Provided things continue playing out like it seems they will, I sit corrected.

      And mighty happy to be able to say that. May they continue negotiating with the same skill.

  • QueenTiye

    I would like to believe this is so, but I won’t be convinced until it actually happens. From where I sit, President Obama looks stressed and grey, and I feel very sorry for him.

    • janefromhell

      Hey QT! I agree, you can see the toll the job has taken on him. Remember how long it took for W to get a wrinkle (aside from the laughing kind)?

    • http://twitter.com/bphoon Brian C

      Any president looks stressed and gray after a couple of years on the job…

  • D_C_Wilson

    Like I said yesterday, Obama won this one already. He successfully boxed both Boehner and McConnell and outflanked them.

    • http://twitter.com/bphoon Brian C

      True, but full disclosure here: the GOP “leadership” has been using the same tired old lines on spending and taxes for years now, so they they’ve pretty much painted themselves into a corner.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1655290390 Steven Skelton

    The president has never taken the position that they would agree to any specific cut. He and the VP will throw out numbers, but they won’t agree to how they will do it. That is why the republicans walked out. That is why McConnell has said “fuck it….here’s the checkbook, you figure it out.”

    After O’Donnell gets done wiping off his chin, maybe he could start looking for anywhere the president has said what he will cut to get the numbers he’s talking about.

    He won’t find it.

    • Alex0001

      Well nice to see you’ve completely missed the point again….

    So let me get this straight….Is O’Donnell saying the Pres is using reverse psychology with them like they are a bunch of toddlers by saying he wants 4 bazillion in cuts?

    • incredulous72

      What I took from the segment IG, was that O’Donnell was saying that no matter what President Obama puts on the table, the republicans will say no to, even if they’re getting a majority of what they want. They have no intention of compromising with the President and he knew that (from experience). So basically his “offer” was the 4 trillion dollars in cuts up front; not that he would agree to all of them, but that he was willing to negotiate as long as there were 1 trillion in tax revenue (close tax loopholes and increase taxes on the wealthy) in the package as well. The President is trying to show himself and the Democrat party as willing to compromise, which is what the majority of the American people want to see. Boehner was will to negotiate, but he knew that the rest of his caucus would never go for it, because his caucus is now made up of ignorant, incompetent, ideological nincompoops (did I spell that right?).

      Even though it’s not popular with us that the Dems and Obama are seen as bending over backwards to compromise with the republicans, with swing and independent voters it looks great and it paints republicans as the party of no that they have become in the past 3 years.

      If Cantor walked out of the talks with Biden and the Dems when they were getting 98% of what they wanted, they had no intentions of negotiating. It proves that the republicans are looking to control things instead of helping this country get out of the mess that they put us in.

      And that makes them look REALLY bad.

        Gotcha, thanks