Bachmann Believes In DADT But She Isn’t Judging?

Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann made an appearance on CNN this morning with Candy Crowley where in she clearly stated that she believes Don’t Ask Don’t Tell was a good policy and that she would like to bring it back.

Bachmann’s opinion of homosexuals has been made abundantly clear many times before, but what makes today special is that she directly contradicted herself several hours later on the same day.

CROWLEY: If you became president, would you reinstitute the Don’t Ask Don’t Tell policy in the military, which said that gays could not serve openly in the military.

BACHMANN: The Don’t Ask Don’t Tell policy has worked very well. And I think…

CROWLEY: Would you reinstitute it then? Because it’s been set aside.

BACHMANN: It worked very well. And I would be in consultation with our commanders. But I think yes, I probably would.

That was early today during the morning hours.

And this was during the afternoon several hours later.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann said Sunday that despite her past statements, she doesn’t “judge” gays and lesbians.

In 2004, Bachmann told the National Education Leadership Conference that homosexuality was “part of Satan.” […]

“That is the view President Bachmann would have of gay Americans?” NBC’s David Gregory asked Bachmann Sunday.

“Well, I’m running for the presidency of the United States,” Bachmann replied. “I’m not running to be anyone’s judge.”

“But you do judge them,” Gregory noted.

“I don’t judge them,” Bachmann disagreed. “I am running for presidency of the United States.”

So which is it?

I’m not sure if you can claim to be non-judgmental regarding homosexuals if you also wish to bring back Don’t Ask Don’t Tell.

These appearances were only a couple hours apart today.

By the way, did anyone else’s gag reflex kick in when David Gregory said “President Bachmann?”

Adding… Because President Obama went through the trouble of having congress sign off on the repeal of DADT rather than simply signing an easily-overturned executive order, it would require another act of congress to reinstate it. A — shuddering — “President Bachmann” would be unable to do it alone.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Wingnuts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    If DADT is good enough in her own house, it’s good enough for the military.

    • incredulous72

      LMAO! Priceless.

  • muselet

    Michele Bachmann takes David Gregory (or, at least, Meet the Press) more seriously than she does Candy Crowley. Perhaps a half-dozen news junkies would bother to switch on CNN on a Sunday morning to watch an interview with Bachmann, and if anyone squawks, she can insist she was answering a question about one very specific policy. The thousands of people who watch MtP are also news junkies, but the show is important in the Village hive-mind, so Bachmann had to be more circumspect and responded to Gregory in a more acceptable (for which, read “not nuts”) way.

    None of which means she’s not a lying, hypocritical loon who should never be trusted with any kind of executive authority, of course.

    (President Bachmann. What a horrifying thought.)

    –alopecia

  • laddieluv

    My “gag” reflex kicks in when I say Moronella McDimbulb’s name WITHOUT the word (gasp) “president” in front of it.

    I live in her district. ‘Member?

    Please feel sorry for me. Blech.

  • D_C_Wilson

    If you ask me, Marcus looks jealous. I guess Michele always hogs the wieners.