Cantor Repeats Plan To Hold Hurricane Relief Hostage

House Majority Shitkicker Eric Cantor reiterated his position on Fixed News today that we will have to find savings elsewhere before we can lift a finger to aid those who have lost everything or begin rebuilding the areas of the northeast devastated by flood waters.

The Washington Post reported this morning that FEMA will need more money than it currently has to deal with the storm’s aftermath and is already diverting funds from other recent disasters to deal with the hurricane, but Cantor’s comments suggest Republicans won’t authorize more funds without a fight.

Cantor took the position following the tornadoes that devastated Joplin, Missouri and elsewhere in the spring and summer, and after last week’s earthquake, the epicenter for which was in his district, but the hurricane’s level of destruction is far beyond that of those disasters. Still, Cantor told Fox News that while “we’re going to find the money,” “we’re just going to need to make sure that there are savings elsewhere to do so.”

Meanwhile, very rough estimates of the damage are beginning to come in, with initial estimates in the range of $7 billion dollars.

It’s easy to believe that number will rise sharply over the next several days after looking at photos like these from Vermont.

Sorry Vermont. According to Eric Cantor, we’ll need to cut funding from healthcare, food stamps, or food safety before we can provide assistance.

You didn’t think he meant raise taxes on the rich or cut defense spending when he said “find savings elsewhere,” did you?

It’s no mystery. There’s only so many places you can “find savings” when the only reasonable options have been ruled out.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Ethics and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Scopedog

    Wow….just when you think someone cannot go any lower to the level of amphibian s*@!, Eric Cantor comes along and proves that you can go much, much lower.

    The governors of the states affected by Irene–some of them Republicans–should blast this SOB on the news, in newspapers, online, everywhere. This storm left a lot of devastation and flooding, and if Cantor thinks that the state governors are going to let him get away with this @$$hole behavior, he’s got another thought coming.

    At least, I hope.

    • LawMom3

      I’m sure Gov. Bob McDonnell isn’t going to say TOO much. He’s got ambitions for higher office, perhaps to be the VP candidate with whomever is the GOP candidate next year, or he’s biding his time until the dust settles after what will be a sure Republican disaster in 2012.

      • jmby

        McDonnell, like every Republican VA Governor, thinks he’ll be tapped as a VP candidate. And IT NEVER HAPPENS. Why? Because no Republican VA Gov has left the Commonwealth better than they found it. Jim Gilmore, Macaca Allen… Not a brain trust. McDonnell isn’t any better. And if he thinks Cantor will be grateful to him for kissing his ass, he doesn’t know Cantor. As one wealthy older woman said to my friend in Temple on a recent Jewish holiday, “Huh. The Cantors are here. He must be running for something.” Quite a few Richmonders actually do have him figured out. This guy uses EVERYONE. I’ve even started seeing TIME FOR NEW REPRESENTATION IN THE SEVENTH bumperstickers on cars – including the Surburbans and Audis in his own district. Unheard of in past years. McDonnell better not hope to be ridin’ that train. It’s going nowhere.

  • LawMom3

    This guy is so tone deaf it’s hard to imagine he can sit through a concert without discomfort. What a dimwit. I can hardly wait to hear him prattle about how we can’t increase revenues – even for disaster relief – because that would mean “job killing tax increases”. They chant it like a mantra, he and his ilk.

  • laddieluv

    This soulless pr.ick needs to have body parts (of our choosing) cut off. stat.

    Despise this piece of human dreck.

  • mrbrink

    Eric Cantor needs to be bounced the fuck out of a position of authority.

    While he’s sitting there plugged in to the national soapbox amplifying his electric stupid, a very large man should come up from behind, grab his tailored suit at the shoulders and drag him out into the street where he can continue to make his case to sewer rats.

    Physically removed.

    People’s lives and mobility depend on an infrastructure to get to work and feed their families.

    He’s obstructing America’s ability to heal and rebuild.

    Get him the fuck outta here.

    He’s too stupid to have a job making life and death decisions.

    • muselet

      Eric Cantor needs to be bounced the fuck out of a position of authority.

      Seconded, enthusiastically. Cantor is a walking, talking example of the Peter Principle, and is too simple-minded to know it.

      Of course, the same could be said for most Rs in Washington …

      –alopecia

  • Robert Scalzi

    The last Picture is of Rte 6 out of Rutland , VT and after hearing from friends that still have family living there I understand all the bridges out of town have been washed away leaving the town effectively cut off at this time.

    Fuck Cantor, I said it before and I’ll say it again, Cut off all funds that go to his district. Or if you think you can get away w/ it off the slimy piece of santorum.