Drill Baby Drill. In the Everglades.

Speaking of same shit, different day — Michele Bachmann has a brilliant idea for meeting the nation’s energy needs. Drill in the Florida Everglades!

SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) — Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann said Sunday that she would consider oil and natural gas drilling in the Everglades if it can be done without harming the environment.

Bachmann said the United States needs to tap into all of its energy resources no matter where they exist if it can be done responsibly. [...]

In 2002, the federal government at the urging of President George W. Bush bought back oil and gas drilling rights in the Everglades for $120 million. Bachmann, who wants to get rid of the federal Environmental Protection Agency, said she would rely on experts to determine whether drilling can be done without harming the environment.

Would those “experts” be employees of the oil and natural gas industry? The same “experts” who would tell you deep-water drilling is completely safe only a few months after the worst oil disaster in national history.

Can someone show me an example of an oil or gas drilling operation which is entirely safe? Can you show me one which has not produced any adverse side effects on the surrounding environment?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Environment and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • RockyMissouri

    Ruh-roh….!We are in deep crap now…!

  • http://twitter.com/TyJuanOn Kari Hope

    “Drilling without harming the environment”…. that’s like making an omelet without breaking a few eggs…

  • Dan_in_DE

    Reminds me of Deadwood. Just send the experts in, they know how to get the job done.

    .. and if things gets rough, just send in them Pinkerton boys.

  • exconnie

    Does anyone else ever imagine the alternate universe in which the Iran hostages were successfully freed by the Carter admin., following his re-election – all property owners receive big tax incentives to outfit their buildings with solar panels (built in US) or hook up to a wind farm grid or heat with geo thermal etc etc etc. Gee, wouldn’t that have been AWFUL. I have another one in which Sandra Day doesn’t feel a pressing need to retire real quick before a Democrat gets elected. I wonder how she sleeps at night- lot of blood on that woman’s hands.