Paul Ryan is a Lying Liar

Republican budget front-man, Paul Ryan (R-WI), apparently didn’t even read the press release where in S&P spelled out their reasoning for downgrading the credit rating of the U.S. from AAA+ to AA+.

Here is Paul Ryan’s response to Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday after being asked about the credit downgrade.

Ryan: I am not very surprised with the downgrade. We more or less saw it coming because we are the wrong fiscal path. We’ll find out what spike in rates we are going to get. Obviously not only does it hurt the federal government and its ability to close deficits, but it hurts people. Car loans, home loans, all these things are going to go up. And so, it is because Washington has not gotten its fiscal house in order. And to me, this is just more vindication of our actions. We passed a budget, which according to someone with S&P yesterday, would have prevented the downgrading from happening in the first place.

Wallace: Isn’t that like a doctor saying, ‘I did the operation perfectly but the patient died?’ In its announcement, S&P condemned the political dysfunction here in Washington, the grid lock here in Washington… isn’t the failure to compromise part of the problem?”

Ryan: Both political parties are responsible for the mess we have right [now]. This is not a Democrat or Republican problem only. Both parties got us to where we are. I would argue, though, in the last couple of years, we’ve gone deeply in the wrong direction. Yes, we haven’t been able to get the kind of compromise because our partners on the other side of the ailes had been unwilling to reform the [entitlement] programs that the cause of the problem.

No. Just no. This is not a vindication of the Republicans’ actions. In fact that is so far from the truth I can hardly believe Ryan’s nose didn’t grow 10 inches immediately after saying it.

S&P made it perfectly clear that an overwhelming majority of the blame for the downgrade is owed to fanatical Republicans who refuse to, under any circumstances, raise revenue.

This isn’t a vindication of the Paul Ryan Path to Poverty, which House Republicans voted in favor of, either. The Path to Poverty would add another $6 trillion dollars to the national debt over the next 10 years and wouldn’t raise a single dime of additional revenue. In fact the only way you could possibly believe it would lead to more revenue is if you also believe in magic asterisks, that tax cuts create jobs, the Tooth Fairy, and Santa Claus.

Furthermore, Democrats have been perfectly willing to discuss reforms to entitlement programs that do not include cutting benefits. One could even argue that the Affordable Care Act did just that.

In short — Paul Ryan is just making stuff up.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Wingnuts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • dildenusa

    Yeah, Reverse Robin Hood Ryan is the dispatcher for the republican tea party republic clown car. Obviously their GPS tracker has outdated software installed. It’s not telling them that 70-80% of Americans want taxes increased as part of any austerity package.

    Maybe it’s just me…
    But when I read a blockquoted bit where some purported journalist spells AISLES “ailes”, I figure we’re fucked right out of the gate.
    It happens every goddamn day.

    /M R ducks
    know deer knot
    cedar wings?
    Well oil beef hooked!
    M R ducks.

    • JMAshby

      Good catch. I did not write that part!

        I trust it was a straight C&P…
        Point stands.
        Neither Woodward nor Bernstein, or Hersch, or 1000 others who used to spend their careers calling liars liars and exposing the seedy underbelly of what pretended to governance, would EVER have let something like that pass.
        Clearly there are no longer Desk Editors…but that ain’t the sort of thing should have ever passed Spill Chicken.

        • JMAshby

          It costs money to employ an editor. In the new world, that workload is shifted downward for the same or less pay as before.

            Damn. I know that was a serious commentary, but I can’t stop laughing.

            “you can go to the store and buy it motherfucker”

            What? Is Sony Pictures out on the street selling pencils from tin cups?
            Is the guy who drives the truck to the store where the DVDs are sold getting paid?
            Are YOU getting paid?

            /Truth = Comedy gold
            // Righteous Truth = Harlan Ellison

          • http://twitter.com/bphoon Brian C

            I fucking love that.

          • incredulous72

            Proofreaders are desperately needed. I can’t tell you how many articles I read in the paper and online that are full of grammatical errors. Writers nowadays should at the very least proofread their own work.

          • JMAshby

            Well, I try very hard to edit my own stuff, but sometimes my eyes fail me.

          • peonyharp

            Ashby, you still do an incredible job, and have ever since Bob selected you as co-contributor!

            what peonyharp said.

            JM, your deft skill shines well through your speedy fuck-ups.
            As I say, relax…I read typo. I also read ignorant doofus…and it ain’t too hard to tell the difference.

          • incredulous72

            I wasn’t talking about YOU Ashby. You do a fantastic job!

            Ashby, there is a term for how we miss our own grammatical mistakes. Basically, if you’ve written something, you have it in mind as to what it is SUPPOSED to be and that’s what your mind actually sees when you read it (particularly when reading it over and over again). So whoever writes a piece is much more likely to miss stuff. That’s why we have proofreaders because we need a totally fresh set of eyes to catch stuff. So no matter how good the writer is, proofreading is essential because of this common brain malfunction. This is some of the most valuable advice I ever gave to my college students.

  • Lexamich

    The real news would be if a Con on FNC actually told the truth for once.

    Still, highlighting the liars is very relevant.

    • JMAshby

      You’re right, but its not just FNC we’re talkin’ about here. The entire mediasphere is awash with the “both sides” meme right now.

  • D_C_Wilson

    If you needed any proof that the GOP lives in an alternate reality, this is it. Facts are completely irrelevant. The fact that the public overwhelmingly rejects their idea is considered further proof that their ideas are right.

    • missliberties

      The fact that the public overwhelmingly rejects their idea is considered further proof that their ideas are right.

      That’s funny! At least we can still laugh. They can’t take that away can they? Or can they?

      • incredulous72

        They’re damn well trying to.

        • missliberties

          Most awfully this stupid S&P ‘downgrade’ has focused the conversation again on ‘the debt’.

      • http://twitter.com/bphoon Brian C

        Yeah, they can. All I have to do is imagine them getting elected in ’12 and the laugh goes right out of me.

  • http://twitter.com/bphoon Brian C

    That oh-so-earnest look Ryan puts on his face every time a camera is within eye shot is such bullshit. That down-home-yuck-yuck-aw-shucks-I’m-just-an-ol’-country-boy-from-Wisconsin schtick makes my stomach turn, especially when I think of what he’s trying to do to this country.

    That the likes of Paul Ryan, Eric Cantor (another Oliver North-ish smarmy fuck if there ever was one) and Joe—er, Kevin–McCarthy are considered the up-and-comers, the future of the Republican Party, says volumes about the GOP and must have folks like Everett Dirksen and Nelson Rockefeller spinning in their graves.