Shocker: Tea Party Outfought Democrats

Why doesn’t this surprise me?

A telephone poll by the Pew Research Center for People and Press found that Republicans and Tea Party-affiliated respondents both paid more attention to the debt negotiations and were more likely to take action to influence the outcome.

  • Scopedog

    Doesn’t surprise me.

    As much as I despise the TPs and the Repubs, to their credit, they get the hell out there and organize. None of this “I’m staying home and sending a message!!” bulls**t for them.

    If we want to match them blow for blow, then we’d better learn that you either get into the trenches and suck up them bullets, or you sit back, whine, and get rolled. For all the crap that has been hurled at Obama from Liberals, it seems that some just don’t get it–he hasn’t had any backup from many Dems and progressives. He’s basically been out there by himself while some in his own party stab him in the back.

    And don’t even get me started on the nonsense from the “Professional Left”.

    • http://twitter.com/TyJuanOn Kari Hope

      So bc the media uses FAKE photos of tea party rallies we should believe they are in full force? Money buys votes, period. Bush vs Gore comes to mind.

      • Scopedog

        Not just money, Lonnie…factors such as having your brother be governor of a critical state matters, along with a one-sided MSM, and a failure of many on the Left to drop the “not a dime’s worth of difference!!” nonsense.

        So money does buy votes, but other there are other ingredients in the stew pot.

        And yeah, the MSM using those photos of the TP gatherings…well, what else can one expect? If they were to use the photos showing meager gatherings (or rather, non-existent attendance at TP rallies), well, it would be a different story.

  • gescove

    I’m having trouble teasing out anything relevatory here. The article doesn’t indicate the ratio of D’s to R’s contacted. So what if 20% of a minority bloc called Congress? How does that compare in real numbers to the 5%? And if you live in my Congressional district, calling is a waste of breath. Period.

    Polls like this don’t begin to answer the question of the out-sized influence of the radical fringe of the Republican Party. I’ve seen the Tea Party in my area… it’s toothless. Democrats drew more people to a let’s-make-corporations-pay-taxes protest than the Tea Party did for their don’t-tax-the-rich protest. And they were giving away a free iPad!

    So the poll doesn’t drill down to the influence of the Fox propoganda machine, Koch-brother funded think tanks and astro-turf projects, or corporate money fueled hatchet operations like Crossroads GPS. That’s the power of the tea-baggers, not a handful of don’t-tread-on-me phone clowns.

  • gescove

    Adding: It’s tough to organize support around nebulous, fast-moving, secret negotiations. It’s tough to rally around “protect Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid” when your leadership is saying everything is on the table. It’s tough to make calls of support to say “we must pay ransom to the terrorists.”

    If you want to mobilize the troops, you need to give them a mission. What was the effing mission? The tea-tards had theirs — No Taxes, or We Blow Up the Economy!

    • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

      Pretty much this. Liberals didn’t turn their backs on Democrats, Democrats turned their back on liberals. Right now, the party has no direction other than “but… the Republicans are way worse!” And how they plan to get votes on that strategy when they continue to move to the right, I do not know.

      I know liberals generally don’t need to be told what to do, unlike their right-wing counterparts, but there are no progressive leaders. None that aren’t viewed as kooks, at least. Michele Bachmann is about as ultra far right as you can get, and she’s #2 in the GOP primary. She’s mainstream to them. Now, that’s not me saying we need to run out and try to run Kucinich, but we need some real leadership and someone to actually care about our issues.

      Almight FSM I wish the Tea Party was toothless where I live! Gescove where are you at that they are so ineffectual?

      • gescove

        Not to say we aren’t Deep Red here in rural eastern Oregon. Just that the TP’ers haven’t been much of a presence where I live. That cannot be said of other parts of Oregon’s 2nd Congressional district. But anyway, these folks aren’t the power — they are just useful puppets for the money people behind the curtain.

          Oregon, okay that makes a lot more sense. I’m in AZ, home of the loonies. And I think we can all agree that while they are a vocal group, they are in the minority and they are stupid enough to generally not recognize that they are GOP funded.

  • JMAshby

    Considering that a lot of Left pundits actually criticized the president for attempting to engage voters, and downplayed the entire strategy, it doesn’t come as a shock to me.

    • Scopedog

      Yeah. Talk about shooting oneself in the foot with an AK-47 on full auto.

  • MrDHalen

    The greatest trick the Republicans have been able to successfully achieve is convincing the American independent voter that there is no real difference between the two parties. The second trick, which is almost as amazing as the first, is convincing people to vote for people who claim they “Hate!” government. That’s like putting $hit in a blender and expecting chocolate milk to pour out.

    • Brutlyhonest

      Dan, the most amazing part is the members of the middle class that drink the shit and say, “Mmmmm, chocolate milk!”

      BTW, I didn’t contact my congressman because he is an absolute wingnut. All calling his office would do is get me on another list.