What Does It Mean to be Un-American?

Rick Perry was asked yesterday whether or not he thought the president was un-American. Perry answered, “You’ll have to ask him.”

But I wonder if anyone on the Republican side will ask Perry whether or not he’s un-American. I can’t think of anything more un-American than wanting to secede from, you know, America. This is an act that would surely be joined if not accompanied by armed violence against America. It’s the ultimate expression of hatred for the United States.

And Rick Perry suggested that secession might be necessary, knowing that the last time it was attempted, 600,000 people were killed in battle — around 360,000 of those deaths were United States soldiers.

Rick Perry should be asked about his endorsement of secession — twice, here and here — and the American-ness of that idea.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Republican Party and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    “Un-American” means “Democrat.” Period.

    • xenothaulus

      Or anyone that isn’t White, Christian and Republican.

  • ari rutenberg

    Rick Perry reminds me of the pompous douchebag ultra-religious President in Escape from LA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MpfQ4DUYUU

    Yesterday, Perry also said he would support lynching Bush appointee, Bernanke, if Bernanke prints more money.

    Talk about un-American, this guy is what I would like to think is the anti-thesis of “American”. He is ignorant, barely educated, could care less about the environment, loves him some wars, and his economic policies only favor the wealthy. Blech.

    He is also the definition of authoritarian. 1930’s Germany comes to mind.

    • dildenusa

      He graduated with a GPA of 2.16 from Texas AM in Animal Science.

      If you can’t graduate with at least a 3.0 in something like animal science it means you were a frat boy, lazy piece of shit, and didn’t give a rat’s ass about going to college and improving the lives of others. So anything he says about creating jobs is bullshit. He’s just another Bush sound alike frat boy who could care less about the nation and its citizens.

        Exactly, dilden!

      • incredulous72

        What’s amazing to me is that he studied “animal science” and he is now the GOVERNOR OF TEXAS!

        Not a history, law or political science class in there AT ALL. And the yahoos made fun of President Obama for being a “community organizer”.

        For crying out loud.

        I’m sorry, but in 2011 and going forward, ESPECIALLY after the previous president, I want the leader of the free world (what’s left of it) to know what the hell he’s doing.

        Animal science; SERIOUSLY?!!!

      • http://twitter.com/bphoon Brian C

        Like I’ve said before here: All we need is another dipshit C-student lazy-ass Texas governor in the White House.

        Like my Mom used to say when contemplating the possibility of George Wallace being elected President: It’d be time to move to Australia!

  • dildenusa

    So Rick Perry’s comments about Texas seceding from the US are just a joke, huh? Well, I have a joke about Texas. It goes like this.

    What’s the best time of the year to visit Texas? The time when you see it in your rearview mirror.

  • Username1016

    Who comes up with these questions? What an offensive thing to ask ANYONE about the duly elected president of the United States!

  • jmby

    I’d very much like to see President Obama stand toe to toe with him, look him in the eye and ask Perry to his face if he thinks the President is un-American. Why do I have a strong suspicion that Perry, like all schoolyard liars and bullies, will weasel-up if directly confronted? The Republican Party has become nothing more than a big, crap-stinky bag of weasels – able to throw insults, racial slurs and venom at anyone, as long as the target isn’t facing them down. I swear to God, if Democrats and Independents don’t get their shit together to turn these bullies and liars out of office, they get the government they deserve.

    • caribbeanobserver

      Agreed,jmby. But what are they proposing to send the country forward?
      Answer- not a damn thing!

    • holyreality

      He would just play the victim card.
      The big bad knee-grow was mean to me, boo hoo!

  • Camel54

    The campaign ad writes itself. Footage of Perry saying these things about America with the ever-present menacing man’s voice over. “We’ve all heard the saying, ‘America, love it or leave it.'” Quote Perry talking about secession and back to voice over, “His choice? Leave it.”

    Maybe even put some of the facts about the number of dead from the civil war, a few Brady photos of dead soldiers intermingled with Perry’s great grinchy grin.