Enough Is Enough!

Sorry Texas death row inmates. No more steak for you before being executed by Rick Perry.

SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) – The Texas prison system on Thursday abolished the time-honored tradition of offering an opulent last meal to condemned inmates before their executions, saying they would get standard prison fare instead.

“Enough is enough,” state Senator John Whitmire wrote on Thursday to prison officials, prompting the move. “It is extremely inappropriate to give a person sentenced to death such a privilege. It’s a privilege which the perpetrator did not provide to their victim.”

Yeah! Persons sentenced to death are privileged enough as it is! They don’t need a last meal!

Ahem…

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Death Penalty and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • mrbrink

    This is what happens when too many people cross the Texas penal system by speaking to the press about claims of innocence and flawed justice.

    “Your last meal privileges have just been rescinded!”

    Anyone else innocent?

    This is just another deterrent, though. Who would want to commit a capital crime knowing they’ll be put to death on a stomach full of gas fracking water stew?

    Not me!

    At this rate, if death row inmates in Texas keep coming forward with claims of innocence, and insufficient evidence, incompetent defense, or racism, they’ll start killing them TWICE!

    There’s justice, and then there’s Texas justice! It’s just like regular justice, but with more state killing and soulless ridicule.

  • MrDHalen

    To all Republicans, “Be careful of the walls you tear down to kill the devil, for once you reach him, you will find there is nothing separating you from him.”

    I don’t know who came up with that, but I always remember it.

    • mrbrink

      That is f-ing awesome.

    • muselet

      Sounds a lot like this:

      William Roper: So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!

      Sir Thomas More: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?

      Roper: Yes, I’d cut down every law in England to do that!

      More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned ’round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man’s laws, not God’s! And if you cut them down, and you’re just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I’d give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety’s sake!

      (Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons)

      –alopecia

  • gescove

    Maybe the Republicans want to do away with the death penalty… as mrbrink says, they think just killing inmates is “too good for them”. They probably plan to borrow from the Bush playbook and start torturing prisoners. Not the slow torture of sitting on death row. But the real thing from Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib. Now that’ll teach ‘em not to mess with Texas.

  • Chachizel

    Damn these shit kickers make me embarrassed to be from Texas. I swear we’re not all hicks

  • ElayneB

    Hell, if you stop feeding them all together 30 days prior to the execution date, they’ll be weak and Texas can save even more money by using less of the lethal injection meds (cue the cheering teabaggers).

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1730451827 Jane Phillips

    I don’t know how anyone could possibly eat when faced with known certain death in a few hours, but why add insult to incarceration to injection?

  • http://greedyrepublicans.com ChristinaMorgan

    Times must be really tight in Texas now. I think it’s disgusting to deny a condemned man a last meal if he wants one. Many people are executed 20 or more years after they have committed the crime. They’re different people by then. I find the death penalty to be morally repugnant.

  • Sean Flynn

    Absolutely against the death penalty. State sanctioned vengeance is not justice.

    Worth noting, however, that the state senator who pushed for this is a (D) http://www.whitmire.senate.state.tx.us/
    His outrage in this matter came from a man, who was thoroughly guilty of dragging a black man to his death, ordering a triple-meat bacon cheeseburger, a meat-lover’s pizza, a big bowl of okra with ketchup, a pound of barbecue, a half a loaf of bread, peanut butter fudge, a pint of ice cream and two chicken-fried steaks. And then didn’t eat it.

    Sorry, mrbrink. He never claimed to be innocent. he’s a white supremacist who is likely still proud of what he did. He’s dead now, but I’d prefer it if he’d spent a lifetime eating shitty prison food.

    • mrbrink

      I didn’t say he was claiming to be innocent. Others have, and just recently.

      Texas executes a lot of people. Their system has been referred to as “an assembly line of death.”

      They have no doubt put some people to death who were innocent of the crimes they were convicted. They’ve executed retarded people. But like Troy Davis, their families and attorneys made waves in the press throwing into doubt the accuracy of the Texas “assembly line.”

      And I don’t care who it is, Democrat, or Republican, if you’re worried about the last meals of the condemned, you have too much time on your hands and really shouldn’t be making laws that put people to death in the first place.

      I question the humanity and judgement of someone harboring such petty aspirations.