I So Want Drug Testing

Governor Nikki Haley of South Carolina is taking a page out of the Governor Gollum Rick Scott playbook, seeking to kick drug test people who are already down.

Something which she has deeply desired since the day she took office, according to her.

“I so want drug testing,” Haley said on Thursday, according to the Associated Press. “It’s something I’ve been wanting since the first day I walked into office.”

And now Haley is trying to make that dream come true, pushing for people applying for jobless benefits to first pass a drug test before receiving any aid, the AP reports.

Her proposal is similar to a Florida law — which the ACLU recently filed suit against — but is focused on unemployment benefits rather than welfare benefits. Haley proposed the measure during her gubernatorial campaign, and now she’s trying to see if it’s within the state’s power to implement the drug tests.

I’d like to think most politicians, at least those of the more liberal persuasion, have a desire to make things better for their constituents on the first day they take office even if only to further their own career rather than out of some deep desire to help people.

Not Governor Nikki Haley, though. No sir. The first thing she thought about on the first day she walked into office was drug-testing the unemployed.

Her words.

That’s pretty fucking twisted. If I may say so.

And, by the way, South Carolina’s unemployment agency estimated in 2009 that drugs only accounted for 0.3 percent of unemployment.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Ethics and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • D_C_Wilson

    And the results of the tests will probably be the same as what was found in Florida: That drug use among the unemployed is actually lower than that of the general population.

    Modern Republicans are in no way fit to govern. They just aren’t.

  • Ned F

    May as well couple that with the anti baggy pants law. That’ll show ‘em.

  • incredulous72

    THAT woman, is an IDIOT.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1432102542 Tim Neuenhaus

    Unemployment is an insurance that one pays a premium payment from every paycheck, it’s not a handout which is why you are paid an amount based on your individual payment you make and you receive the benefits for a limited amount of time. Do republicans not understand this?

    How can you make someone take a test to receive the benefit of something they have paid for.

    • mrbrink

      Exactly.

      How can you demand this of your neighbor?!

    • muselet

      Do republicans not understand this?

      They understand perfectly. They just don’t care.

      –alopecia

  • Lexamich

    Follow the money.

    They’re doing this for a reason, and it has nothing to do with keeping junkies of the government teet.

  • ufo50

    What is even more twisted is the fact that not one member of Government are drug tested. I mean it’s obvious that they are all on some kind of dope. I worked for the IRS, the fricken IRS the people who handle your taxes, no drug test. I will be glad to see Governor Nikki Haley take a drug test. she is so poluuted on legal mind dope as well as all of them legal dope heads in Government. We the unemployed will take your First Admendment Destroying test when you take it too!