Keepin’ It Classy in Arizona

If you live in a district which is home to a member of congress who was shot in the head by a Glock pistol, it may not exactly be appropriate to raffle off a Glock pistol at a political event.

The Pima County GOP — which is in the same district where Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) was shot early this year — is holding a very insensitive fundraiser this week. The party is holding a raffle fundraiser, and the prize is a Glock handgun, the same category of weapon that was used to shoot Giffords.

The Glock-Raffle is part of a “get out the vote” event.

Really.

ThinkProgress captured the ad for us:

What could go wrong?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Ethics and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Robert Scalzi

    I saw the Republican dirtbag who came up w/ this brilliant idea on CNN and it was all i could do not to throw my coffee mug thru my Tele. Unbelievable. It is absolutely true that Re/Tea/publican’ts have no shame.

    Thanks for spreading the word Ashby

    • Scopedog

      Holy shit.

      If I may ask, Robert, did the CNN interviewer at least TRY to give this person a hard time for coming up with this idea that is, at best, batshit crazy and disrespectful?

      • Robert Scalzi

        It was Frederica Whitfield and she actually did a pretty fair job at exposing the shitbrainer as just that, a heartless, morally bankrupt shitbrainer, I’ll be it not as aggressively as I would like to see but for CNN not bad

        • Scopedog

          Thanks, Robert.

          I just listened to it a few minutes ago. I’m actually amazed that my patience held and I didn’t throw my monitor across the room.

  • mrbrink

    Support your local assassination advocacy group– The Republican party.

    And if you donate more than $20 you get a free dog whistle.

    Assholes.

    • http://twitter.com/DJShay12 DJShay12

      good one :)

  • incredulous72

    These people are diseased in the mind.

    • Scopedog

      They’ve been that way for 40 years. Not all of them–there are still good folks in the GOP–but they are in danger of being pushed out. The nuts are running the nuthouse, and they aren’t as charismatic as Jack Nicholson.

      • incredulous72

        Although I can’t co-sign on the “there are still good people left in the GOP” meme, I’m sure that there are “republicans in spirit” people (now independents) that are horrified by what is going on in their former party. The ignorance and racism that is running that party into the ground is astounding.

        • Scopedog

          There are, I would believe. Recently Chuck Hagel also criticized them.

          Remember in the 1990s, before he passed away, how Barry Goldwater not only defended President Clinton and supported him, but how he also publicly criticized Newt Gingrich and the GOP at that time?

          • D_C_Wilson

            Goldwater famously quipped before he died that he was now considered part of the “liberal wing” of the GOP. That’s how fantastically far to the right the party has gone to since he ran for president.

      • dildenusa

        Not only are the nuts running the nuthouse, but the squirrels are in the guardhouse, guarding the nuts running the nuthouse. This is one of my favorites, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-ostroy/being-michele-bachmann-me_b_944580.html

  • http://www.facebook.com/blackdogsailing Scott Thomas

    I am flabberghasted

  • dildenusa

    What are these people thinking? The Glocks are really junk. Cops hate them. Jared Lee Loughner was lucky his didn’t jam but it should have. Kahr, Sig Sauer, Beretta are much better firearms.

      “The AK-47. When you just have to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.”

  • deedqtqt

    very good go—-wwwjordanforworldcom
    -
    —–**—
    **
    ——love

  • mhr6

    The guy who stopped Loughner from killing more people had a concealed weapon.

    • muselet

      I know you want that to be true, but no.

      Joe Zamudio, a customer in a drug store in the same strip mall and who was armed, heard the shooting and ran to the scene. Here’s what Slate reports:

      “I came out of that store, I clicked the safety off, and I was ready,” he explained on Fox and Friends. “I had my hand on my gun. I had it in my jacket pocket here. And I came around the corner like this.” Zamudio demonstrated how his shooting hand was wrapped around the weapon, poised to draw and fire. As he rounded the corner, he saw a man holding a gun. “And that’s who I at first thought was the shooter,” Zamudio recalled. “I told him to ‘Drop it, drop it!’ ”

      But the man with the gun wasn’t the shooter. He had wrested the gun away from the shooter. “Had you shot that guy, it would have been a big, fat mess,” the interviewer pointed out.

      Zamudio agreed:

      I was very lucky. Honestly, it was a matter of seconds. Two, maybe three seconds between when I came through the doorway and when I was laying on top of [the real shooter], holding him down. So, I mean, in that short amount of time I made a lot of really big decisions really fast. … I was really lucky.

      When Zamudio was asked what kind of weapons training he’d had, he answered: “My father raised me around guns … so I’m really comfortable with them. But I’ve never been in the military or had any professional training. I just reacted.”

      The Arizona Daily Star, based on its interview with Zamudio, adds two details to the story. First, upon seeing the man with the gun, Zamudio “grabbed his arm and shoved him into a wall” before realizing he wasn’t the shooter. And second, one reason why Zamudio didn’t pull out his own weapon was that “he didn’t want to be confused as a second gunman.”

      Stop lying.

      –alopecia