Profoundly un-American Indeed

At least one Wingnut out there is willing to say what the rest of them aren’t even though they’re all thinking it.

Conservative columnist Matthew Vadum is just going to come right out and say it: registering the poor to vote is un-American and “like handing out burglary tools to criminals.”

“It is profoundly antisocial and un-American to empower the nonproductive segments of the population to destroy the country — which is precisely why Barack Obama zealously supports registering welfare recipients to vote,” Vadum, the author of a book published by World Net Daily that attacks the now-defunct community organizing group ACORN, writes in a column for the American Thinker.

Encouraging those who burden society to participate in elections isn’t about helping the poor,” Vadum writes. “It’s about helping the poor to help themselves to others’ money. It’s about raw so-called social justice. It’s about moving America ever farther away from the small-government ideals of the Founding Fathers.”

Letting poor people vote is un-American? Only if you view America through a prism of fascist fantasy.

While these are horrible things to say, they aren’t at all out of line with what most conservatives really think, and this person obviously has no problem saying what no one else is willing to.

And you don’t need to take my word for it. You can simply view conservative legislative history, as virtually nothing they have passed for the least 30 years did anything to help the less fortunate among us and plenty to harm us.

You don’t have to go back very far either. The Paul Ryan Path to Poverty, which all of the Republicans voted for, would radically redesign the nation in favor of the rich. More in favor than it already is, anyway.

I have no problem with these accusations that President Obama wants to “zealously” register people to vote or that he wants to pursue an agenda of “raw” social justice. That’s great. Shout it from the rooftops! Mister Vadum is deranged enough to think that’s a bad thing so let him repeat it ad nauseam.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Wingnuts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/DJShay12 DJShay12

    I guess service industry folks shouldn’t vote according to this idiot. Someone at McDs should throw fries in this guys face

  • lexcade

    And the people who work at the hotels where these people stay ought to leave dirty sheets on the bed, shit in the toilets and make sure their room service is as cold and disgusting as possible. The nerve…

    If the Republicans hate the poor so much maybe they should stop making so many of them.

    I wonder how much worse things would have to get before French Revolution-style craziness starts to happen.

    • GrafZeppelin127

      I actually made that point to a ‘bagger over on HuffPo a while back. I don’t recall the exact exchange, but I wrote something about how capitalism nullifies democracy, and he responded with some incoherent drivel about “communism,” and I replied to the effect that, like it or not, this is how communist revolutions come about: When the rich become too rich, the powerful become too powerful, and government/political leaders act solely on behalf of the wealthy few.

      As bad as the wealth gap is now, it will get worse under President Perry after 2012, and then under President Bachmann in the 2020’s. Eventually, one can hope, the victims of the increasing wealth gap will stop enthusiastically enabling it. Then, and only then, will the plutocrats and oligarchs have a real problem on their hands.

        Graf, I agree, but if there’s a President Perry in 2012 there won’t be a Bachmann nor anyone else in the White House. He’ll have himself declared ‘President For Life’ by a 5-4 vote in the Supreme Court due to the ‘instability’ caused by the massive economic depression that Perry’s idiotic policies will bring about. We’ll be living under martial law by then.

  • jmby

    It’s always an eye-opener, albiet depressingly, not an unusual one, when you hear about someone who is so confident everyone agrees with him that he says this kind of hateful thing out loud. It’s as stunning as the bigoted jerk in the office who tells a jaw-droppingly sexist or racist joke and assumes everyone else approves, agrees and thinks it’s hilarious. I don’t know whether to be grateful to them for showing who they truly are so everyone knows and can disabuse them of those assumptions, or to just give up on all of them, and this country, altogether. What makes a person so black-souled and full of hate?

    • JMAshby

      A lifetime of shelter.

  • Ned F

    I’m assuming this guy lives in a gated community with lots of security.

  • http://joevillanova.blogspot.com/ Joe Villanova

    WOW. At least this bigot is honest about his true desire of hateful discrimination.

  • http://joevillanova.blogspot.com/ Joe Villanova

    History will repeat itself again. This piece-a-shit thinks that the French Revolution won’t happen in this country. And yet people like him are paying attention to what is happening all over Europe recently in the U.K. and in the middle east. He is scared. He should be.

  • watchdog_prime

    So this is what you get when you intraveinously pump Ayn Rand directly into your bloodstream.

  • Scopedog

    Yeah, but Obama’s a wimp and he shouldn’t have changed his speech schedule!

    Oh….sorry. Wrong topic, and a stupid one at that.

    About this guy….why are we surprised at this? Seriously, he’s only uttering (using code words, of course) what some of the GOP and some American conservatives believe–the right to vote, hell, the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness–should only be given to whites. No one else deserves them.

    For all of the crap I see thrown at Obama, thankfully something comes along to remind us once again that he’s still the best damned choice in 2012. At least the Democrats, for all their flaws, believe in voters’ rights. The GOP feels that voters should go f**k themselves.

    Now, who still feels that there’s no difference between the two parties?

  • holyreality

    What an uber-douche.

    Teabaggers with colonial hats and bags hanging off the brim tend to worship the “founding fathers” or at least the idea.

    When educating someone waving their Gasden flag on the founding fathers, I inform them that the words all men, that are supposedly created equal were intended to mean free white men who owned property.

    That is the voting bloc that the revered, holy, and infallible founding fathers envisioned for their fledgling republic.

    Now the TP nation resembles this more and more.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=664565397 Darek Biesiadzinski

    If this douche was intellectually honest and followed his own twisted logic to its conclusion he should have also stated that the wealthy, and particularly the uber rich CEO’s that prop up the republican party, should lose their right to vote. After all, they will vote for the candidate that will make it easier for them to fuck over consumers, their own employees, the environment, etc.

  • muselet

    The folks who read the hilariously misnamed American Thinker will eat this up with a spoon, not for one second realizing that Matthew Vadum isn’t just talking about those people. Poor honkies wouldn’t fare any better in Vadum’s America than poor darkies.

    What a sick, sad little man.

    –alopecia

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Sunny-Sweet/100001030393951 Sunny Sweet

    It always surprises me when one of these idiots equates “poor” with “unproductive”. I’ve been poor most of my life, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t accomplished a great deal. Nor does it mean that I am unable to think, and make choices related to our country.

    Having money (in large quantities) isn’t something very common to the majority of the members of this society. Most of us work for a living – and sometimes can’t find work – but make ends meet the good old fashioned hard working way. And even when we can’t, we still do things with our lives, don’t we? People on welfare are often mothering their families…isn’t that an important job any more?

    That make’s us PRODUCTIVE, poor or not.

    This guy is just a Fascist, without bothering to wrap it up nicely.