Quote of the Day

“Modern conservatism is actually a deeply radical movement, one that is hostile to the kind of society we’ve had for the past three generations — that is, a society that, acting through the government, tries to mitigate some of the ‘common hazards of life’ through such programs as Social Security, unemployment insurance, Medicare and Medicaid. Are voters ready to embrace such a radical rejection of the kind of America we’ve all grown up in? I guess we’ll find out next year.” Paul Krugman

In other words, modern conservatives are hardly conservative in the traditional definition of term. They’re far-right revolutionaries who want to undo all of those things — simply because an African-American liberal president is in the White House.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Republican Party and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Kitty-Smith/100000047475312 Kitty Smith

    Well, they want to roll back some 150 years of progress, Obama is just the person they yammer about to really get the fuckwits motivated.

  • Ned F

    Less than being about Obama, it’s the matter that modern conservatives simply refuse to accept the legitimacy of any (democratically) elected Democratic administration.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1380131435 Therese Hentz

    If this is true [and to me there's zero doubt], then they hate the very idea of America, and they cheapen us as a people.

  • KXA

    …simply because an African-American liberal president is in the White House…

    Really?? I seem to remember the Republicans being against Social Security ever since a wealthy, privileged white man brought it into existence. The “right” is against every Democrat and will use whatever club is available to beat em with it. Just ask Mondale, Dukakis,Clinton, Gore and Kerry. The problem is that the Democrats (perhaps except Clinton) refuse to fight. If they would just list the facts they could win every argument. All politicians use race one way or another, even Obama.

  • bleedingheartliberal6

    “REPEAL THE 20TH CENTURY!!!!”

  • D_C_Wilson

    Krugman is being too kind. These radicals don’t want to take us back three generations or even 150 years. What they want is to turn is into some bizarre mixture of rightwing Christian theocracy and Randian disregard for anyone who didn’t have the foresight to be born wealthy. These are people who hate the very idea of a pluralistic society founded on religious tolerance for all that the founding fathers have created and yet have convinced themselves that those same founding fathers wanted America to be a fundamentalist only society.

    It’s not just because Obama was elected. He’s just the poor fool who had the misfortune to be elected at the moment when they hit their peak. While I’m sure the fact that he’s black has helped swell their ranks, this dystopian dream of theirs has been on the agenda for decades now.

    If there was on symbol that represented this movement, it wouldn’t be the cross or even some guy dress like Paul Revere with tea bags hanging for his tricorner hat. It would be a gold twin statue of Saint Ron and Ayn Rand standing on the back of a disable homeless veteran.

    That’s their vision for America’s future.