Ralph Nader is a Careerist Troll

The attention whore is back and he’s looking for a solid primary challenger to the president, which, as we all know, will be a waste of time and will help the Republicans. But it doesn’t matter as long as Nader gets his fix.

Worried the liberal voice is being drowned out in the presidential campaign, progressive leaders said Monday they want to field a slate of candidates against President Obama in the Democratic primaries to make him stake out liberal stances as he seeks re-election.

Ralph Nader warns that without an intraparty challenge the liberal agenda “will be muted and ignored,” the one-man primary will kill voter enthusiasm and voters won’t get a chance to reflect on the real differences that divide the Democratic and Republican parties.

“What we are looking at now is the dullest presidential campaign since Walter Mondale — and that’s saying something, believe me,” Mr. Nader told The Washington Times.

Is Nader suggesting the president is going to be defeated by a landslide like Mondale was? If so, how will a primary challenger (who has no chance of winning the nomination) resolve that problem? Or if President Obama is the Reagan character, what the hell’s wrong with that?

Ugh. I’m trying to parse the words of a crackpot. It’s going to be a fine day.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Democratic Party and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.facebook.com/kevin.m.hagerman Kevin M. Hagerman

    I think he’s saying IN PART that he’d like this campaign to be a recapitulation of the 2008 campaign against Hillary Clinton – Obama benefeitted greatly from that campaign in that having an opponent in the primaries resulted in increasing his credibility as a campaign.

    But that’s IN PART. There’s other parts there that confuse me.

  • Robert Scalzi

    Nader is a useless piece of trash I hope someone takes the bastard out behind the metaphorical wood shed, preferably before we have a repeat of 2000. FUCK NADER and anyone who voted for him in 2000 or would consider anything this Rat says as relevant Fuck Him and His lackeys

    • jmby

      Hey, Robert, you know I’ve taken issue with your violent rhetoric in the past, and this time, my husband is TOTALLY with you. Heee!

      • Robert Scalzi

        Yeah Yeah, And ya know what you are correct that sometimes I get a little bit charged up, however I do not apologize for how i feel (I really do hate re/te/P’s and wish they were all fertilizer), yet I also need be aware that commenting at first light before I have my coffee and herb is a really bad idea… Thanks you for helping me toning it down a bit

        • jmby

          And if you heard me rant and rave when I read about and hear these horrible people, you’d swear you and I were separated at birth! I admire your unwavering fight and obvious strong sense of justice.

  • jmby

    You cannot find a more Liberal voter than I, and I feel neither muted nor ignored. Know who SHOULD be ignored, and I WISH was muted? Ralph. How awful it must be to live his existence. The guy is so obviously eaten with deep self-frustration, bitterness and impotence. He must be just miserable, and make everyone around him miserable. As usual, the MSM awards time and attention to a totally irrelevant entity and treats him like a sage. Very serious.

    Nader’s been mud in my family since he put the kabosh on the Corvair. My uncle was one of its designers and went to his grave declaring there was nothing wrong with the car. My neighbor, who owns and drives four of them, agrees- Nader sought self-serving attention to make his name even back then, and put workers out a job in the process.

    • Robert Scalzi

      Ralph Nader is the one who is unsafe at any speed

  • jmby

    I just reread the piece; in what alternate universe is Ralph Nader considered a “progressive leader”? Oh, please.

    • i_a_c

      This is the Washington “Moonie” Times, so I would take that characterization with a grain of salt.

  • http://www.broadwaycarl.com Broadway Carl

    But it worked so well in 1980.

    I’ve said it a thousand times and I’ll say it again. If Ralph Nader were a serious person, he would have been building the Green Party for the last 30 years into a legitimate force instead of getting his narcissistic fix by crawling out from under his bridge every four years to throw a wrench in the works.

    And yes, Nader fans, he’s been a great advocate all his life, but this presidency obsession is just vainglory.

  • mrbrink

    This peculiar idea of American democracy where a minority of skittish “Independent” swing voters, or Nader, sway an election rightward with less than a full majority of the national vote is best left to the lessons of Nazi Germany, or Idiocracy.

  • http://twitter.com/AlanFors Alan Fors

    I liked the Corvair! Wish I could find one in decent shape today.

  • mrbrink

    Some of the guardians of the liberal gates are acting like teenagers too embarrassed to be seen at the mall with their parents.

    Pocket the rebellious “cool cred” rep’, jerkoffs. We’re surrounded by enemies and none of them are named Barack Obama.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/John-Conner/100000495528525 John Conner

    I’m sensing after a long and extensive search Ralph Nader, Cornell West and co. will settle on drum roll….Ralph Nader as the person that will force Obama to move to the left in a primary battle. So instead of going after either Romney or Perry months leading to their nomination, President Obama has to deal with an ego manic in a primary.

  • gescove

    Ralph Nader helped deliver us the Bush years. How the hell does mounting vanity primary challenges force the President to “stake out liberal positions”? Screw Nader and the Corvair he rode in on.

  • America_Shrugged

    While I’m a liberal, even I know the political realities here. ” the majority of the
    Country isn’t quite there yet” otherwise Mitt & Perry wouldn’t be in a near dead heat with President Obama. For as smart as most liberals are, this is where some of them are lacking.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1690773245 Mark J Duncan

    “This sounds like something that a TAX CUT would fix!” or “this is great news, for John McCain!!”

  • missliberties

    So who’s going to fund his idea, the GOP? You are a brilliant piece of trash Mr. Nader. Go away.

      In fact, in 2004, Nader accepted a campaign donation from a well-known Bush Republican and feigned ignorance that the money was intended to split the Dem vote — even his VP candidate, Peter Comejo, objected to Ralph taking that tainted cash.

  • D_C_Wilson

    The “professional left’ just needs to accept that they are not going to get a more liberal candidate than Obama. Not this election. If the GOP continues their assault on the middle class, we will likely see a shift to the left (in reality, back to the center) of the electorate, but we aren’t there yet.

    But hey, if you want to see a president Perry or Bachmann “turn out the lights” on the EPA and hand Social Security over to the same banksters who burst the housing bubble, by all means, support Nader getting involved.

  • BuffaloBuckeye

    Oh, for god’s sake. Ralph Nader can kiss my ass.

  • bphoon

    I barely listened to this news item this morning because, seriously, the man isn’t worth my time or attention.

    What’s the title of the new book Ralph’s selling?

  • Kris Fowler

    I continue to find it amazing that “progressives” blame Ralph more for the 2000 election than they do Katherine Harris. Get over it. If Obama doesn’t want a challenge from the left then he should have governed like he campaigned. We got Hoover instead of Roosevelt. How much longer can we be satisfied that he’s not Bush. I think the world was expecting more than this. I type this as I listen to him pander to Netanyahu in front of the world at the UN. Change we can believe in, my ass.

      Kris Fowler, while I agree that Nader did not lose the election for Gore in 2000 — the real blame goes to the US Supreme Court for violating the Constitution and Congress for letting them get away with it — and, in a fair statewide recount of the Florida vote, Gore won anyway, but refused to press the issue — I have to disagree on Obama.

      Of course, he could publicly lecture Netanyahu on the need for a Palestinian state and lose three-quarters of the Jewish vote, but what good would that do? Most of the real work in this situation is being done behind the scenes, so what would he accomplish except to likely hand over the govt to Rick Perry or Mitt Romney? Would you like that kind of change? BTW, lately, Obama has been tacking more toward FDR than Hoover over the economy and he now has the GOP in a bind — they have to do something about jobs or show themselves to be the morally and mentally bankrupt, in-the-tank party of the rich they actually are. When the best talking point they can come up with is the lame ‘class warfare’ swipe while Americans are suffering, you know they’re in trouble. As far as the world’s opinion of Obama, he’s a hero in much of the Middle East and Europe, particularly in Libya and Egypt. They appreciate his intelligence and subtlety as many of his previous supporters in the US obviously can’t. But perhaps you’d prefer if he publicly announces all of his plans in advance so that the Republicans know just how to counter them.

      • Kris Fowler

        While I appreciate your opinion I’m afraid I would still have to disagree. One of Obama’s first actions as president was to appoint Team Rubin as the group of people who would be giving him his economic advice. That should have been our first clue. Yes, he is acting more like Rooselvelt than Hoover…. Now… After diverting his attention to the deficit while the unemployment rate was still around 10%. Now, when he must know that there is no chance that the House will pass it. And his stimulus package, while stopping the bleeding, was tepid and has now run its course.

        As for Israel, yes “Most of the real work in this situation is being done behind the scenes”, just like it has been for the last 60 years. Israel has no incentive to give an inch as long as their largest benefactor continues to lend its financial and political support. Obama has so far shown nothing superior to Bush’s road map, aside from some nice speeches. And again, this fear of offending the “Jewish” vote echoes his fear of offending republicans in his economic policies. These people aren’t voting for him anyway. At some point he just has to do the right thing. I think he’d be surprised at the amount of support that would find its way to him if he were to make such a stand.

        I would also doubt his continuing popularity in the middle east right now – especially in light of last week. He was also painfully slow in lending support to the Egyptian uprising. Libya, yes, but I doubt elsewhere at this point.