Stop Flirting with Huntsman

Jon Huntsman isn’t your friend. As Josh Dobbin wrote in the comments, “It’s the real ‘soft bigotry of low expectations’ that we cheer when a republican admits that 2 + 2=4.”

Just because he admits to the existence of science, and endorses both evolution and climate change doesn’t mean he’s worthy of your vote. Being reasonable and smart are givens. He also wears pants and breathes air. But he’s still a Republican who, among other things…

-Supports the flat tax
-He will unravel healthcare reform
-He’s against a ban on assault weapons and is in bed with the NRA

On abortion, from his website:

As governor, he signed landmark legislation to limit abortion and protect those who cannot protect themselves.

He signed HB 90 to make second-trimester abortions illegal and increase the penalty for performing an illegal abortion. He signed HB 222 to allow women to learn about the pain an abortion will cause to their unborn child. He signed HB 85 to require parental consent for minors to obtain an abortion.

Gov. Huntsman also supported a “trigger” bill that would prohibit abortions in Utah if Roe v. Wade were overturned.

And he supports the right to life amendment.

If you’re flirting with Jon Huntsman for some reason, be careful. I’m old enough to remember a time when liberals believed George W. Bush when he acted like a moderate in 1999-2000.

Yes, he should be applauded for being a reasonable Republican. But any support from the left should end there. We want to elect politicians who are center-left and left — not conservatives who just happen to not be crazy.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Republican Party and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • D_C_Wilson

    Huntsman is reasonable, moderate, and seasonable on my issues. He also understands the scientific method and doesn’t froth at the mouth.

    In other words, republicans think he’s a communist.

    Any liberals who are flirting with Huntsman are wasting their time. The very reasonableness that they find attractive will doom his candidacy in the primary.

    I wouldn’t worry about his stupid economic beliefs or position on abortion. He’s going no where.

    • Scopedog

      Well, Michael Moore had better listen to this!

    Well said.

    Even though we know that Huntsman can not possibly get the nomination, we can’t afford Liberals jumping on the Huntsman bandwagon, even temporarily.

    We are in a serious fight for the presidency, and it is nowhere near certain that we’ll win. We need to focus on that, and along with that, on those Republicans who have a real shot at the nomination. I still feel that will be Perry.

  • Ned F

    Thanks for pulling me out of there, Bob. After learning that Huntsman was a really knowledgeable Captain Beefheart fan from Dave Weigel, I was starting to fall under the spell.

  • trgahan

    Living in post-Huntsman Utah, I’d have to say his success is a bit over blown. Economically, he coasted on the housing bubble and bolted for China right when it popped. He left in power all the appointed people (including our current governor) who did all his dirty work so he could continue to look like a nice moderate guy, while his political opponents were systematically neuturalized.

  • Robert Scalzi

    That is Absolutely Correct !!

    Even a broken clock is right Once every 720 times and most folks won’t use a broken clock, ….Scratch that. Now I’m wondering, Why do so many people rely on “broken clocks” in this country ??

      Actually, the Christopublican GOP is trying to turn the clocks back to the Dark Ages, which they think were right before the signing of the Declaration of Indepedence of the Theocratic Christian States of America from the atheistic rule of King George III. I wish I were kidding, but some of them actually believe this rot. They think if Thomas Jefferson used ‘in the year of our lord’ on a document, it meant he was an evangelical Christian zealot, just like them. Yep, and signing ‘your obedient servant’ meant you were literally offering to be a slave to the person your were writing.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-Ferguson/1296223142 Dan Ferguson

    Very good point he should be tolerable as a republican but not that I am ever going to vote for him

  • http://profiles.yahoo.com/u/GIQIFF7A7RFUB5SZVHTELINBLE oron

    I realize its probably politically naive, but as a progressive I do wish Huntsman were the nominee. At least then the election would be on the actual issues and policies rather than the bizarro-world up-is-downism insanity of Bachmann and Perry where you have to argue about the very nature of reality.