The Bubble Genius Bob & Chez Show, 9/9/11

We Review President Obama’s Jobs Speech to a Joint Session; How Can Republicans Vote Against American Jobs?; Firebagger Reaction; The Republican Debate; Rick Perry is Bush Rebooted; Stop Flirting with Huntsman; September 11 Memories; Dick Cheney’s Order to Shoot Down Civilian Flights; and much more! Brought to you by Bubble Genius!

Not safe for work!
Download the mp3 (62 minutes, 25mb)
RSS Feed

Bubble Genius

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Bob and Elvis Show and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Kaha

    Great show, Bob and Chez!

  • missliberties

    Right now liberals and democrats have been presented an opportunity to highlight Republican obstructionism. The media has failed at this task. The question is do liberals understand who the real enemy is?

    This is THE most extreme GOP Congress since the 1850′s, and the Know Nothing Party Platform of John C. Calhoun.

    • Scopedog

      “The question is do liberals understand who the real enemy is?”

      Some do understand.

      However, some, like Michael Moore and the FDLers, do not.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/John-Conner/100000495528525 John Conner

    The only thing that surprised me was Glenn Greenwald didn’t tweet anything the MO for that douche has been anytime President Obama does something or say something positive here comes an anti-Obama tweet. As for the speech President Obama did to the Republicans what George W.Bush and Republicans had been doing to the Democrats during the post 9/11 years give bills ultra patriotic sounding names and force the Democrats to vote on them.

    I believe there are two kinds of independent voters 1. Republicans that been so shamed by the far right wing turned they want to disassociated themselves with that version of the Republican party. And 2. People who don’t pay attention due to work or other things going on in their lives or they don’t pay attention to politics because the meat and potatoes that make up modern American politics is boring so they rather pay attention to something like “Jersey Shore”

    Rick Perry: Think George W.Bush with better hair and worst ideas.

    Just listened to slightly less than half the show (plan to finish up later today).
    LOVED the West Wing clip……..PERFECT!!

    The right is already spinning. Eric Cantor “The message was: either accept my package as it is, or I will take it to the American people. I would say that that’s the wrong approach.”

    What a dick.

    @chez — Rick Perry and Pres. Obama don’t even belong to the same species

    Bob: “math is math”
    no, not when it involves republicans.

    @chez……he intentionally has not shown anger previously, because they were concerned that the country (republicans) couldn’t handle the image of an angry black man/president. I believe that was correct, and that now was the best time to bring out that angry man, black or not.

    Also, I consider myself to be “far left”, for what it’s worth. It always disconcerts me to hear the Firebaggers termed the “far left”, because I don’t want to be associated with those idiots. The difference between us is like night and day, and I like to think it’s due to the real, intense, political naivete most of them own.

    • http://rob.yurkowski.net/ Rob Yurkowski

      There’s a difference in being far left, Nicole, and being naive, as you say. I think that people who believe that life isn’t a zero-sum game—that we can look after Bob as well as Chez and that both benefit from the other being healthy and happy—aren’t crazy at all, and as far as the political spectrum goes in North America (it’s the same way up here in Canada), that’s about as far left as you can get.

      The thing about Greenwald and Hamsher and even Robert Reich that get me is that there’s this terrible naïveté about what can be accomplished by one person without support. I mean, the President has had absolutely zero support through most of his term. No assistance whatsoever. And yet consider what he’s managed to accomplish. He’s honestly the most progressive president America’s had in a long time, and he’s done it all as he promised — post-partisan, even if his opponents and supporters haven’t collaborated, and with a bias for legislation over political gain.

      And I harp on this point once more, but I think the vast majority of democrats are exceedingly happy with his performance. It’s only the disillusioned or fake ones who are most vocal, though. If there’s one thing we can do, it’s encourage independents and fellow progressives to speak up and say how much we appreciate his work, and to push for better (and more!) allies for him in the Senate and the House. Boehner needs to be degaveled.

      (And as for Hamsher et al., I prefer to think of them as in ‘left field’, not as the far left.)

        I have to agree with everything you noted, Rob.

        If there’s one thing we can do, it’s encourage independents and fellow progressives to speak up and say how much we appreciate his work, and to push for better (and more!) allies for him in the Senate and the House

        I often wonder if we [those of us who are bloggers] expend too much time and energy focusing on the Current Bad Guys, and not enough on the president and his accomplishments. Something to think about, I guess.

        ‘left field’

        haha…….good idea. :)

  • D_C_Wilson

    Good show. Two thoughts:

    1) You’re right about the naming of the American Jobs Act. I’m sure the GOP is already thinking up some label they can apply to it to apply to it that will down grade people’s view of it. I really don’t think liberals to this day appreciate how much they’ve let the GOP define the terms of the debate with labels like “Porkulous”, “Obamacare”, and “Death Tax”. Bob talks a lot about how the GOP is all marketing and no policies, but in today’s media-saturated world, marketing is important. And the GOP has better marketers.

    2) About the idea that, if Gore were president on 9/11, the GOP would have impeachment him because he’d try to use the crisis to do something positive. I don’t think he’d even get that chance. If Gore had been president on 9/11/01, the GOP would have voted to impeach him on 9/12/01. There would have been no moment of rallying behind the commander-in-chief. They would have immediately jumped on it as an opportunity to take Gore down.

    Which, of course, would have made Lieberman president and by now, we’d have troops in not just Iraq and Afghanistan, but also Iran and possibly Syria as well.

    After finally finishing the show, I have to add that I had a burning, fucking BURNING, desire for revenge. Hell, I even swore fealty to that dumbass W for the time between Sept 11, 2001 , and the time he began making noises about Iraq. I cheered when we hit Afghanistan. I wanted some damn blood.
    And, I swore that fealty after the election of 2000 when I was feeling deeply disillusioned, and craving a revolution, after the theft of the presidency.

    Yeah, I rallied.

    In 2009 I found myself seriously regretting it.

  • muselet

    “He just entirely painted the Republicans into a corner with this. There’s no way they can oppose this, and if they do, and the chances are they will, they’re just going to commit hara-kiri. It’s a no-win for them.” One would think so, Bob, but we’ve seen this movie before. The Rs have already said they’ll chop the president’s proposal up into its component bits and vote on each of them in turn. They’ll pass a few parts, refuse to pass the rest, sit back and claim they tried it Obama’s way, and demand that their ideas be implemented instead. And our wonderful news media will parrot the Rs’ talking points. (Gee, it must be a day that ends with a “y”.)

    Chez, to be fair, Perry didn’t compare himself to Galileo, he compared climate-change cranks to Galileo. That doesn’t mean he’s not dead wrong, or a moron, or that he didn’t miss the point of Galileo’s story by a couple of parsecs, of course.

    “… [T]his guy, Rick Perry, is totally like the JJ Abrams reboot of George W. Bush.” You mean a Perry Administration would be overhyped, badly written and frustratingly illogical? With lots of lens flare? You’re probably right.

    “[Rick Perry] shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near the White House.” Not even on a tour.

    Hmm. “Mind-bogglingly stupid.” Does that mean Rick Perry is actually the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (“… which is such a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can’t see it, it can’t see you.”)? It does kind of fit.

    –alopecia

  • incredulous72

    Great show, guys. Really enjoyed your insights about the President’s address. I too hope this will be a battle cry for the middle class (especially the Dems) and the death knell for the tea party specifically, this form of the republican party in general. We need to get back to what made this country great, and it doesn’t have a damn thing to do with the pseudo-job creating tax breaks for the wealthy and corporations.

    It’s hard for me to believe that it’s been ten years since the attacks. I live here in New York and it’s like they happened yesterday. I worked evenings during that time, and I remember getting a phone call from one of my friends way too early that Tuesday morning telling me that a plane just went into one of the towers. “A plane went into one of the towers?!” I turned on the television and watched as the second plane hit. It was as if I was watching a movie. I lived five miles away from the World Trade Center.

    I’ve only recently (in the last 6 months) been down to the Ground Zero site. I could never bring myself to go down there after the attacks. It’s prime real estate and WE HAD to rebuild, but to me that site will always be a burial ground. I didn’t lose anyone personally that day, but in a sense we all lost something that we’ll never get back. It’s made us as a country harder, meaner, and alot more fearful (even though we don’t want to admit it). I think we lost a bit of our humanity that day, or maybe our belief in humanity.

    And we need to get it back.