The Conspiracy to Take Your Guns by Not Taking Them

Throughout the course of the last several years, we’ve been privileged to witness some doozy conspiracy theories from the far-right. Of course there’s the conspiracy to birth a half-Kenyan, half-white boy deep in the heart of Africa then pass him off as Hawaiian in order for him to one day become the president and pass a massive stimulus bill. And there’s the conspiracy about the president’s army of healthcare enforcement thugs marching through your gated community and forcing you to buy health insurance.

But I think the executive director of the NRA, Wayne LaPierre, wins the prize for the best conspiracy theory of the year (so far).

LaPIERRE: [I]n public, [President Obama will] remind us that he’s put off calls from his party to renew the old Clinton [assault weapons] gun ban, he hasn’t pushed for new gun control laws, and he’ll even say he looked the other way when Congress passed a couple of minor pro-gun bills by huge majorities. The president will offer the Second Amendment lip service and hit the campaign trail saying he’s actually been good for the Second Amendment.

But it’s a big fat stinking lie, just like all the other lies that have come out of this corrupt administration. It’s all part — it’s all part of a massive Obama conspiracy to deceive voters and hide his true intentions to destroy the Second Amendment in our country. […]

Did you follow that? By not pushing for “new gun control laws” and even allowing pro-gun legislation to move forward, the president is actually preparing to take your guns.

Interesting. So if this is the president’s strategy — plotting to do the opposite of what he’s actually doing — then the far-right should be thrilled with his record so far. All of the far-left liberal policies they’ve accused him of passing are actually far-right policies in the waiting. I smell a President Obama landslide in 2012 with huge conservative support.

(This post is written as part of the Media Matters Gun Facts fellowship. The purpose of the fellowship is to further Media Matters’ mission to comprehensively monitor, analyze, and correct conservative misinformation in the U.S. media. Some of the worst misinformation occurs around the issue of guns, gun violence, and extremism, the fellowship program is designed to fight this misinformation with facts.)

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Guns and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Chris Andersen

    I can still remember hearing Birchers seriously argue that the “collapse” of the Soviet Union was all a ploy to fool us into tearing down our missiles.

    It simply boggles the mind that they can get away with this, as conspicuous a lie as it is.

  • mattpd

    you can tell the level of sophistcation that an organization has for the target of a “message” by looking at what they think is the winning argument for that target. In this case, the NRA didn’t even have to think for 10 seconds to come up with that nonsense.

    Doesn’t matter…they’ll buy it.

  • http://twitter.com/groobiecat Groobiecat

    Of course, Wayne is dead-on right: all the angry liberals who are pissed that the administration has done nothing on gun control since he took office? It’s all a RUSE to suck people the NRA into a false sense of security. And then, just after another couple dozen thousand people die from gun-inflicted violence–WHAM!–we’ll, um, talk about the importance of promoting gun safety *in no uncertain terms*! Oh yeah, didn’t see that one coming, didja Wayne? Pwned.

    Scary, industrial-grade stupid.

  • bphoon

    Wayne LaPierre has a vested interest in trying to keep people believing that Obama is on the verge of taking our guns away. A year’s NRA dues is $25 and he has to keep those rolling in to keep his lobbying coffers (and, incidentally, his checking account) flush.

    It’s the same ol’ bullshit over and over and over…

  • trgahan

    LaPierre’s problem is the same as all those end of days preachers. Much like how the world repeatedly refuses to end, the government has shown no desire to substantively restrict or remove guns from society. So LaPierra has to keep convincing scared white people to keep arming (spending money). I thought the “impending UN army invasion” in the 1990’s was nutty enough, but I was wrong.