Your Shoes Can Stay On. No Word On Your Pants.

Good news — according to Homeland Security Security Janet Napolitano, airline passengers will soon be able to keep their shoes on when going through airport security.

Homeland Security Security Janet Napolitano told Politico that air passengers will eventually not have to take off their shoes anymore while going through security checks. “We are moving towards an intelligence and risk-based approach to how we screen,” she said. “I think one of the first things you will see over time is the ability to keep your shoes on.” [...]

“In terms of what we see coming in the months and years ahead, it will probably be easier and it looks like it will be to deal with the shoe issues before we can remove the restriction on liquids.”

Not using an intelligence and risk-based approach was asinine to begin with, and it doesn’t actually provide extra security when you spend all of your time patting down granny rather than watching out for, ya’ know, actual threats.

Besides, the biggest threat to airline passengers is not terrorism. It’s congress.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Terrorism and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/TyJuanOn Kari Hope

    Your last sentence speaks volumes! Sad, isn’t it?

  • muselet

    Not using an intelligence and risk-based approach was asinine to begin with …

    True, but the whole point of the exercise was that the Bush Administration had to be seen to be doing something. An intelligence and risk-based approach isn’t nearly as visible as patdowns and SWAT-gear–clad cops sauntering around airports with really big guns.

    –alopecia

  • morningsky

    It is best not to have a military invading other countries. It tends to piss people off. They then want revenge. In Brazil you keep your shoes on, computer in the bag and nobody plays touchy feely. When you get on the plane they treat you like a valued customer. By the way, no charge for luggage. That is anticipated as part of one traveling.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Obviously, the airlines in Brazil have a different philosophy of customer relations. In the US, most airlines treat passengers like noisy cargo and is the only industry in America that actively hates its customers and tries to make it as miserable as possible to use their service.

      And that’s before we get to the issue of TSA security procedures.

  • morningsky

    When you get on the plane in Brazil someone with a smiling face passes a basket of very nice caramels. Even on a short flight you receive a nice sandwich with melted cheese. Not a bag of 15 mini stale pretzels.

  • Madam1

    “it will probably be easier and it looks like it will be to deal with the shoe issues before we can remove the restriction on liquids.””
    Well, thank god we have the unbreakable power of the ziplock to keep everyone safe from the allowable 4oz of liquid. Terrorists simply can not figure those crazy bags out.