A Long, Strange Trip

Hard to believe it’s been so long isn’t it?

Eli Clifton of ThinkProgress compiled a quick list of numbers summarizing the 8 years and 215 days since the invasion of Iraq in 2003. They don’t paint the entire picture, but it’s a start.

8 years, 260 days since Secretary of State Colin Powell presented evidence of Saddam Hussein’s biological weapons program

8 years, 215 days since the March 20, 2003 invasion of Iraq

8 years, 175 days since President George W. Bush’s “Mission Accomplished” speech on the USS Abraham Lincoln

4,479 U.S. military fatalities

30,182 U.S. military injuries

468 contractor fatalities

103,142 – 112,708 documented civilian deaths

2.8 million internally displaced Iraqis

$806 billion in federal funding for the Iraq War through FY2011

$3 – $5 trillion in total economic cost to the United States of the Iraq war according to economist Joseph E. Stiglitz and Linda J. Blimes

$60 billion in U.S. expenditures lost to waste and fraud in Iraq and Afghanistan since 2001

0 weapons of mass destruction found in Iraq

A fairly comprehensive list. I would only add that some human-rights organizations and independent studies have concluded that the combined civilian and insurgent death toll in Iraq since the invasion of 2003 may be as high as 655,000 to 1 million.

It’s unlikely we will see a conclusive figure for total number of deaths anytime in the immediate future.

None of these numbers convey the psychological and emotional trauma inflicted on both nations as a result of a war based on lies.

This is the George Bush legacy.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Iraq and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • mikecz

    AFGHANISTAN!!!

    2 years 275 days as president, and yes, we are still in Iraq. When the troops are drawn back, we will still be in Iraq, so don’t lock in those numbers starting at and below contractor fatalities.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Contractors are not US forces, so “we” will not be in Iraq.

    • JMAshby

      Contractors are private businesses. Not “the troops.” But thanks for playing.

    • Scopedog

      What in the bloody hell are you yammering about?

      There will be troops left in Iraq, yes…to guard the US Embassy.

      And as JM Ashby and DC Wilson mentioned, contractors are not considered US forces.

      We will get out of Afghanistan, but withdrawing troops takes time. There is no such thing as “immediate withdrawal”.

      Please, lay off the Greenwald/Lindorff/Swanson juice and get your facts straight, okay? Just saying.

  • mikecz

    Contractors will still be there, being paid by US.

    Yes, they will be American, and they will die. More civilians will die, more expenditures will be tallied, and probably even more waste will occur, due to less oversight from…”the troops”. Can Obama have private military contractors in Iraq, I guess the “public” troops will be out… Guarantee there will still be guns for hire out there.

    Once again “our” money will still be there. Bush was an idiot, but this mess should have been cleaned up long ago. I want to see a “mission accomplished” banner over Obama’s head. It won’t be the exact words, but he’s going to have some ridiculous slogan.

    Also noting “we” are still in Afghanistan, even though Bin Laden is gone. When are “we” going to be out of there? Good thing about Libya though.

    • muselet

      Good grief.

      Once again “our” money will still be there. Bush was an idiot, but this mess should have been cleaned up long ago. I want to see a “mission accomplished” banner over Obama’s head. It won’t be the exact words, but he’s going to have some ridiculous slogan.

      I’ve now read this paragraph four times and it makes less sense every time. Could you please ask your caregiver to take a bit more care when she translates your crayon scrawlings into English? Thanks.

      “Me fail English? That’s unpossible.” –Ralph Wiggum

      As for Afghanistan, as if you actually cared, read what Scopedog wrote above. I know thinking isn’t your strong suit, but just because Osama bin Laden is dead doesn’t mean every American servicemember can simply hop on a plane in Kabul and be home tomorrow.

      As for Libya, you’re joking, right? You’re pissing and moaning because the US was involved in the ousting of a dictator? Really?

      Do go away, you tiresome little man.

      As Scopedog so eloquently and succinctly put it,

      “What in the bloody hell are you yammering about?”

  • mrbrink

    That we have to continue to be subjected to the “you’re-doing-it-wrong” foreign policy advice, or the snide and relentless Obama character attacks from the same people who voted for that list of outright war crimes at one time or another is the extended stay home invasion of a serial rapist.

    I would say to those people, you fucking people, need to stay the fuck away from American politics for a while. Find some shame. A life. You’re rotten motherfuckers who brought death and suffering to millions and millions of Americans and Iraqis as a result of the Bush coup of 2000 and continue to do so with your warped sense of right and wrong.

    I ask the Obama ball-busting “professional left,” when did finding justice for Bushco GOP war crimes take a back seat to holding president Obama accountable for pulling out of Iraq, or the killing of Osama Bin Laden, and supporting democratic uprisings in the middle east? Repealing DADT, appointing good people to the S.C., and more women and minorities all in all than just about every president combined? Holding him accountable for regulating and reforming health care insurance and Wall Street. Standing up in front of the country with bare-all condemnation for the Citizen’s United decision. Saving the auto industry. Appointing pro-labor reps to the NLRB, or signing over hundreds of billions in stimulus and relief for middle income Americans?

    This is why they go free.