Another Day, Another Abortion Bill

Technically this is just an abortion amendment attached to separate bill which has nothing to do with abortion, but that effectively turns it into an abortion bill in my book.

Anti-choice Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) just filed an anti-choice amendment to a bill related to agriculture, transportation, housing, and other programs. The DeMint amendment could bar discussion of abortion over the Internet and through videoconferencing, even if a woman’s health is at risk and if this kind of communication with her doctor is her best option to receive care.

Under this amendment, women would need a separate, segregated Internet just for talking about abortion care with their doctors.

What could possibly be the justification for this? What will this accomplish? I honestly have no idea. From where I’m sitting, it’s just a mean-spirited trampling of basic rights.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Abortion and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_S7NUGMJ2FDHYATRLWFEFCC5CQI schemata

    Now c’mon. It is a jobs plan for bot creators. Someone will have to create a bot to monitor skype, ustream iFace for any mention of the word “abortion.”

    Seriously, though, it is a despicable piece of legislation, from a despicable, small man.

    I’m sure the original draft made it illegal to think about abortions as well.

    There needs to be some national call for common sense on this issue. Even if you’re virulently against abortion, making it illegal to talk about it should be a repugnant idea.

  • mikecz

    Of all abortions, what % are due to rape/incest and what % are due to a women needing to end pregnancy to survive. No snark here, just curious.

    Please don’t waste time or keystrokes by saying it doesn’t matter, I just couldn’t find the numbers…

    • Miranda

      I’m sure that stat that you are looking for wouldn’t be accurate regardless of the source. Doctors and/or nurses aren’t asking every woman seeking an abortion “oh, yeah, for the record, was the sex consensual?”

    • terafied

      According to Guttmacher, about 50% of all pregnancies are unintended, and 25% of all pregnancies end in termination (abortion). About 1 percent are non-elective life-saving procedures (except an unknown number which occur in early stages but are ectopic, or fallopian, and would definitely be fatal).
      This won’t help much because the “rape” stats are impossible to nail down, for obvious reasons. But it will give you an idea how popular and widely sought-out all abortion is.

    • jmby

      It doesn’t matter. And it’s none of your business why a woman wants or needs an abortion. Please don’t waste keystrokes or time asking a question about is what is a legal procedure and a right just to attempt to prove some useless point.

  • http://rob.yurkowski.net/ Rob Yurkowski

    Scumbag.

  • gescove

    An amendment to ban discussion? Between a patient and her doctor? Fercrissakes, what a stupid, rabid zealot.

  • adks

    Is that the same Sen. DeMint (R-Head-Up=His-Ass) that wrote this:

    ” Every branch of government has an obligation to preserve, defend and uphold the Constitution, and if the legislative and executive branches overstep their boundaries, the judicial branch can stop them.”

    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jun/29/the-constitution-is-the-precedent/?page=all

    Apparently he did’t get as far as reading the First Amendment.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Aw c’mon, everyone knows that the first amendment only applies to conservative Christians. That’s the way founding fathers wanted it.

  • bphoon

    It’s pointless to try to understand any of these abortion bills as anything other than attempts to end-run Roe v Wade and make abortion as difficult to access as possible. They don’t really even bother disguising their motives anymore.

    Here in KS, our legislature passed and our Governor signed a bill that places onerous and outrageously expensive code requirements on the buildings of abortion providers–and abortion providers only. The bill was signed in April. The state Health Department people devised a set of regulations but didn’t release them until early June. The bill took effect July 1. The three clinics that offer abortion services in this state had just over two weeks to comply–which would have required each of them to undergo a massive remodel of their facilities.

    The stated reason for this massive state government intrusion into these small businesses? The health and safety of the patients. My question: if these very strict building code requirements are necessary to provide for the health of patients in women’s health clinics, why aren’t they necessary in any other health care facility in this state?

    Fortunately, one of the clinics along with Planned Parenthood and the ACLU have sued the state and have temporary injunctions in force preventing the implementation of this law…for now…