Debating Tax Reform

Artist – Pat Bagley

In other news, under a new law passed in July, the state of Louisiana now prohibits the use of cash for all second-hand sales such as the buying and selling of used goods. The law also requires obtaining personal information of customers.

Needless to say, Louisiana is a deeply-red, Republican-controlled state, and they’ve just implemented a law that represents a massive intrusion of government into private business. And as a liberal, I wouldn’t support the banning of cash in second-hand sales.

The mind boggles.

    Looks like some people haven’t read what’s written on all the money

  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    Yeah, that’s not even remotely constitutional… but how many people will be inconvenienced (or worse) by this idiocy before it gets challenged? Hopefully some judge throws it out immediately.

    And it was a bipartisan effort.

    In Louisiana, even the Democrats are Republicans.

  • bphoon

    So, WTF are you supposed to use? I don’t know of too many individuals who take credit cards…and I don’t think I ought to be forced by the state to take someone’s check.

    • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_YM23FX2FBZEC3UVDPZRGCUBIZ4 staci

      I was wondering the same thing. So do people now have to go and purchase those pay-as-you-go charge cards that will “fee” them even further into economic decline? All of the people that shop at places like Goodwill – what are they supposed to use to pay for their purchases?

        Yeah, me too! Is bartering considered acceptable? If so I would recommend people use bartering until the law is repealed (as it HAS to be unconstitutional).

        • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_YM23FX2FBZEC3UVDPZRGCUBIZ4 staci

          Maybe they can use chickens as the new currency. LOL

  • kushiro -

    For additional irony, the craigslist-style online classifieds service I use to sell stuff specifically recommends cash payment. There is an unbelievable amount of scams that rely on phony cheque, credit card, Paypal and wireless payments to rip people off.

    Utterly OUTRAGEOUS.

  • MauryF

    What part of “This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private” do they not understand?