For the Record

It’d be great if marijuana was legalized.

But I really don’t care much about this issue, which is why I don’t blog about it. Of all the items on the long list of things that need to change in America, it’s simply not a high priority to me. Maybe if I smoked it I would feel differently, but I don’t.

So that’s that. Moving on…

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Drugs and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • missliberties

    Unrelated and off topic. Dark speculation about who exactly these twitter warriors are!

    Ben Smith of Politico fame just wrote a story about “Obamabots’ vs the Firebaggers”!

    Gah!

    “The core of active Obamabots is small, prolific and rather secretive. Three members in this group — who write on Twitter under the handles @JeffersonObama, @Panthrgrlgail and @vdaze — declined to be interviewed but play roles similar to those of Shoq and Gandy.”

    “The anonymity of prominent Obamabots has led to dark speculation about their true identities. Two liberal bloggers, who declined to be quoted on the subject, suggested they were paid agents of the White House.”

    “An interesting question is how coordinated this is,” Greenwald said.

    Do you know how many times I was falsely accused of being a ‘paid shill’ when I was blogging at the DailyMiser? As if people who support the President with the facts must be nothing less than paid shills.

    Jebus. Now the politicos on the right are going to start calling us all “Obamabots”.

    I wonder who the source for this story was.

    Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/66159_Page2.html#ixzz1b8SQrjNv

    • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_BLXL263VFZTK4TXZBYLBPPTSSA Shark

      You’ve always been an Obamabot. I’m sure you have been called that before. Matter of fact it was me.

      Hey Bob. What is your post on the incredibly idiotic made up Iran story Obama is pushing.

      The story no one is buying.

      Alleged Iran Assassination Plot Court Documents Suggest a Set Up

      http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=7455

      I’m sure Bob and missinformation visit real news all the time don’t you.

      Being the far left persons you are.

        Says the completely anonymous asshole.

      • incredulous72

        Who IS this asshole?

        And for the record, anything or one that professes themselves to be “the real …” is full of shit.

      Interesting. The people who made up the paid source story are either the Greenwald-Hamsher crowd or the Breitbart crowd.

      Christ. These dopes will stop at nothing.

  • Madam1

    Ending the prohibition of marijuana will create a completely new source fo tax revenue at a time when every state is experiencing major shortages in their budgets. At the same time people are still going to jail for marijuana cultivation and sick people are being denied access to a medicine 16 states have voted to make legal. Wasted tax revenue as opposed to increased funds for states to hmm, hire more teachers for example – I know government doesn’t create jobs.

    Continuing the failed war on drugs is a tremedous waste of time and money and has only created violent crime syndicates in Mexico amongst other drug producing regions. Those gangs are quite powerful here in my city in California, eg Nortenos and Surenos, and the thought of taking away at least one source of revenue from these gang bangers would make me sleep better at night. So would some legalized Mary Jane.

    Ha! Exactly how I feel.

  • mikecz

    Watch the Prohibition special on PBS. That is a direct correlation to marijuana. You can’t legislate morality.

    Benefits? Tax Revenue from thousands of jobs. Savings across the board from enforcement to imprisonment. This is a no brainer, leave it up to the states, if some states decide to not go for it, fine, their loss.

    You know California needs the money anyway.

  • http://www.facebook.com/timmy.smalls Tim Howlett

    not a “high” priority… pun intended?

  • Robert Scalzi

    Legalize it… It is just a form of control over a large swath of the population. Prohibition DOESN’T WORK !! Never has never will. It is an enormous waste of resources that could and should be spent on more constructive things such as education, health care, and infrastructure. So I disagree, it is a VERY important issue when you take into account the amount of “precious public” $$ being wasted arresting, prosecuting and incarcerating people who choose to use this Herb.

    http://www.alternet.org/drugs/22148/

    • Madam1

      So very well put. Legalize today, collect tax revenue tomorrow. Simple logic and so much easier than 9-9-9, of which would result in a sales tax of 18.75% in my county.

      While it is an important issue, I feel that this issue pales in comparison to what is plainly the GOP effort to dismantle democracy.

      I think that’s pretty much what Bob also meant. It is just not at the top of the list, nor should it be, imo.

      • Robert Scalzi

        yeah it doesn’t rate top o the list but at a cost of $41.8 billion
        in the lost tax revenue from the diversion of funds for the cost of marijuana enforcement and prosecutions to local, state and the federal government isn’t exactly chump change either . maybe the fact that I have lost “time and treasure” being a victim of this lost cause of a war pekes my interest that much more…

        still tho GObama2012 !!

  • mrbrink

    Weed busts clog up an overcrowded jail population, empower drug cartels, corrupt the political system, distort the books of the national economy, and sometimes unnecessarily harsh good peoples’ mellows. The pursuit of happiness should specifically include freedom of prosecution for weed.

    But let’s not bullshit, cheeba chasers. Weed today isn’t the grass of yesteryore still being used as an emotional appeal to our inner-hippy. Some pretty potent shit in circulation today. You don’t get your “medicine” after a few days and you get a little pissy, don’t you? With stuff like: white widow strawberry cough kush kush bubblegum northern lights afghani diesel. Fuck yeah! Kids love it. That dusty bulk-shit smuggled in by brick load from Mexico isn’t even weed anymore. It’s just screwing up the integrity the really good weed market! [Enter Buzz Killington.] As marijuana gets more potent, actually taking on the historically contentious identity of a narcotic, or by establishing more dispensaries in some areas than there are Starbucks– the hardcore advocates must see the concern over shops popping up near schools, parks, and playgrounds, or perhaps violating operating procedures. And if this is your issue that sullies your overall perception of president Obama– the perceived slowing of pot market growth– you probably just need a mentally stable dealer who you’re comfortable making small talk with. Just kidding. The revolution will be like last Tuesday, when we pulled our bong and demanded Obama reinstate our 4th amendment right to update our up-to-the-minute internet update status to: “Man of Mystery.” No, the revolution won’t be anything like last Tuesday. The revolution will not be bogarted, man! Not by old man Peabody and his visions of pine trees of weed as far as the eye can see, especially!

    Marijuana prohibition will die, one prodeliciously favorable polling cupcake sample after another.

    “Toking it up here, Boss.”

    Because America seems to be sick of hiding their stash from big brother. But some people treat this like if we all had access to weed, we wouldn’t make so much war. War with each other– war with Rasta. I can go get a bag of some of the best shit around, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to tell the guy selling it to me to go fuck himself for “$120 a quarter?! Still?” It’s practically everywhere! This is bullshit! But this sort of reaction to an exchange between two people should not be punishable by loss of freedom, even if we’re not cool enough to keep that shit on the hush low, I guess. But if you’re complaining about not wanting to keep that shit on the hush down low-low, you’re probably not cool enough to handle your shit as a representative of pot culture, anyway. Not the dude I’m inviting to my good time Scooby doobie magic bus of smiles and ice cream flavored orgasms. I don’t brake for [squares] bitching about the man keeping us down while we’re f-ing high as hell.

    With great power comes great big bongs of responsibility. Smoke it up. But if you’re still passing it around after the concert lights go up, you’re making the rest of us look like slacker potheads holding our slacker voter enthusiasm hostage through a list of demands that includes: some sour cream and onion chips with some dip, man, some beef jerky, some peanut butter. Get some Häagen-Dazs ice cream bars, a whole lot, make sure chocolate, gotta have chocolate, man. Some popcorn, red popcorn, graham crackers, graham crackers with marshmallows, the little marshmallows and little chocolate bars and we can make s’mores, man. Also, celery, grape jelly, Cap’n Crunch with the little Crunch berries, pizzas. We need two big pizzas, man, everything on ‘em, with water, whole lotta water, and Funyons.

    Legalize it? We still have some growing up to do in smoking our herb in private. Calling for revolution because we can’t break it out so gun nut-publicly seems like the wrong way to prove our ability to handle our shit responsibly.

      There are many great reasons for legalization:
      Savings in MJ policing, interdiction, prosecution and incarceration;
      increased tax revenue; no longer wrecking the lives of young people who test drive a drug that by ALL measures is FAR less harmful than either of the two legal and widely sold drugs (nicotine and alcohol)…BOTH of which kill more people every year than all illegal drugs combined.

      There are other arguments – plenty of them – based on morality, ethics, liberty and economics, and of course the biggest one of all: Prohibition just does not work. All it does is create a black market that funnels massive amounts of cash to criminal organizations.

      Still, though…that was a brilliantly written bit, Brink. Now quit bogarting them Funyons.

      • mrbrink

        I am but a humble peasant with dreams of the big rock candy mountain.

        Wouldn’t be the same without ya.