The Cain Madness

Now that Herman Cain is the center of everyone’s attention, his inner gaffe-machine and limited intellect will finally receive the attention they deserve.

Using only comments he has made in the last 24 hours, it’s easy to see that he is just as divorced from reality, if not more so, than any of the other candidates.

First up, while speaking at the lunatics anonymous Tea Party rally held in Tennessee yesterday, Cain called for use of live ammunition on our southern border along with electrified fences.

If Herman Cain becomes president, he’ll build an electrified border fence that could kill Mexicans who try to illegally cross into the U.S., the Republican candidate said Saturday.

“It’s going to be 20 feet high. It’s going to have barbed wire on the top. It’s going to be electrified. And there’s going to be a sign on the other side saying, ‘It will kill you — Warning,’” Cain said, according to the New York Times. He also said the sign would be “in English and in Spanish.”

To suggest that a nation built by immigrants should put up signs saying you will be killed if you try to enter is an embarrassment to the rest of the world.

We’re just getting started though.

While appearing on Meet the Press today with David Gregory, Herman Cain was asked about specific comments he previously made about liberals wanting to destroy America, and rather than change his tune, he reiterated his beliefs.

When Gregory asked Cain about his previous comments on liberals wanting to destroy America, Cain did not back down from those statements, highlighting likely cuts to defense spending as his reasoning.

“Look at this economy David, the engine of economic growth is the business sector,” he said. “If we allow this economy to continue to go down, it will destroy our economical capability. And as a result, we are looking at how much in defense we are looking to cut, that’s destroying it.”

He added: “That’s the conclusion I have drawn, it is their mission. They do not believe in a stronger America. That is my opinion, yes.”

The liberal mission is to destroy America. Gotcha.

Last but not least, in fact worst of all, Cain said something that I would consider to be worthy of instant disqualification from holding any public office, and something that should be a huge wake up call to anyone who is pondering sitting the next election out.

GREGORY: What about the Supreme Court? Who’s your model of the ideal Supreme Court justice who you would appoint?

CAIN: I would say that there are several that I have a lot of respect for. Justice Clarence Thomas is one of them. I believe that Justice Clarence Thomas, despite all of the attacks that he gets from the left, he basically rules and makes his decisions, in my opinion, based upon the Constitution and solid legal thinking. Justice Clarence Thomas is one of my models.

Clarence Thomas is his model for what he would look for in future justice nominations.

That alone should give, well, everyone pause.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Wingnuts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    Sometime in the spring of 2009, around two months after President Obama was inaugurated, I heard a GOP fan say to a television interviewer, speaking of the new president, these exact words:

    “He’s already destroyed most of the country.”

    Those seven words are seared in my memory (although the name of the speaker and the place where I saw and heard them are not), as epitomizing the cognitive dissonance that I keep harping on here and elsewhere.

    That President Obama “has destroyed,” “will destroy,” or “wants to destroy” anything is both (1) a ridiculous and insanely delusional lie, and (2) a self-evident truth in the GOP/RW/TP/Fox/Heritage/Cato/FreedomWorks/&c. universe. The same can be said of the meme that the “Democrat Party” or “liberals” or “the Left” or whomever else “has destroyed,” “will destroy” or “wants to destroy” this or that.

    Why is the GOP/RW/TP/Fox/&c. cohort so obsessed with the idea of destruction? The Americans whom they’ve been ordered and programmed to hate have never actually destroyed anything or expressed a desire to destroy anything. There is nothing about liberalism or progressivism, about the Democratic party platform, or about President Obama’s policy preferences, that could reasonably be understood as even peripherally destructive, let alone intentionally so. Yet we’ve been hearing constantly from the RW/TP/Fox universe about all the things that Obama/the Democrat Party/the Left/Liberals/&c. “want to destroy.” What drives this wholly unwarranted fear of destruction?

    Yes, there is obviously some projection going on; I’m sure anyone on this thread can rattle of a list of GOP actions and policies that have been and are intended to be destructive. It seems to me that it’s the GOP and its various fan clubs are out to destroy a great many things, starting with the hated Democrat Party and “the Left,” “liberals,” or whomever else might consider not voting Republican. They want to destroy a great many of this country’s public institutions, its social safety net, a lot of its laws (like the ones that require workplace safety), and a number of its communities (e.g., inter alia, gays, Muslims and labor unions). They seem eager to destroy its natural environment, its atmosphere, its water table, etc., or at least to enable private industry’s desire and propensity to destroy it. For everything GOP fans think that President Obama, the Democrats and the Left “want to destroy,” I can name ten things that GOP politicians and media enablers either have destroyed, have tried to destroy, or have publicly expressed a desire to destroy.

    But there’s got to be more to it than just projection or garden-variety paranoia. Why is it so important for GOP fans to believe that everyone other than them is bent on destruction?

    • ranger11

      They’re influenced by the evangelicals? The Book of Revelations is big with this group. Sometimes it seems like it’s their favorite book in the bible. They really want the world to end. Sadistic masochists.

    • http://www.broadwaycarl.com Broadway Carl

      Excellent observations. I enjoy your comments and would appreciate you contacting me in regards to occasionally posting on my blog. bwaycarl[at]gmail[dot]com. Hope to hear from you. Thanks.

    Any bets on how many papers use the headline “The Cain Mutiny” once his poll numbers crater?

    • burbank_burt

      I was thinking the same thing ;)

  • Dan_in_DE

    My guess is that Cain will be the last of the alternates to shoot ahead of Romney only to shrivel back after their fifteen minutes. But who knows – maybe tomorrow the media will decide that it’s Santorum’s turn. That would be enjoyable!

    The German Democratic Republic in old E. Germany set up something like this – Selbstschießanlagen – but they were meant to kill any GDR citizens who tried to get out. So in a way, Cain’s idea is fresh and original – and the media could at least laud him for that!

    /snark

    • Dan_in_DE

      Just to be clear: the second part was snark. The first I really meant. I would truly love to see Santorum get chewed up and spit out in this wistful merry-go-round of carnival barking madness.

  • mrbrink

    What a poor use of the country’s attention span.

    Time is so precious, every second, and to waste a moment presenting the anti-social psychopathic ravings of right wing conservatism is a crime against democracy. There are still some brilliant, sensitive people in this country.

    “Liberals hate America.”

    Just you, motherfucker.