The Reduce the Size of the Middle Class Act

Tea Party darling and potential vice-presidential candidate Florida Senator Macro Rubio may want to stop himself from repeatedly proposing legislation with the expressed purpose of killing jobs if he wants to be of any help to his party in the 2012 election.

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., recently announced that he is cosponsoring a bill that would drastically cut public sector jobs. S. 1611, or the “Reducing the Size of the Federal Government Through Attrition Act,” would reduce the federal workforce by 10 percent by 2015.

According to a press release from Rubio’s office, the bill “would save approximately $139 billion over ten years.”

The bill is one example in a long line of legislation introduced by conservative policymakers in Congress this year aimed at making a political statement about the role of the federal government. Rubio himself has introduced S.726, the “Decrease Spending Now Act,” which has similar aims. The bill would impose deeper cuts to public sector jobs around the country. Public sector jobs, in particular, are already in sharp decline.

If you do the math, as Marie Diamond of ThinkProgress did, a 10 percent cut to federal employees would mean eliminating 440,000 jobs.

Of course, the Republicans can propose eliminating half a million jobs and your corporate media will still treat them as serious people trying to do serious things.

After all, government jobs aren’t real jobs anyway. Right?

By the way, reducing the strength of an entity “through attrition” strikes me as the kind of terminology one would use when describing their strategy to wage war on an enemy, but that would make sense, as the Republican party is waging a war against the American public.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    Let’s start by cutting Marco Rubio’s job.

      Now there’s a great idea!

    the Republican party is waging a war against the American public

    Indeed. And the way things are going, this war will not end until we haul out the pitchforks and torches and use them on the fascist leaders of the GOP, along with the elites who fund the miserable thugs.

  • muselet

    So Marco Rubio thinks firing government workers is a cost saver, does he? If he’s serious about that, he should volunteer to be the first one to be pink-slipped: clearly he’s not pulling his weight.

    –alopecia

    EDITED TO ADD Note to self: refresh the page before clicking on “Post”.

    • incredulous72

      “If he’s serious about that, he should volunteer to be the first one to be pink-slipped: clearly he’s not pulling his weight.”

      I’m thinking if we can get all the GOP/TPers pink-slipped, we can reduce our federal deficit by . . .

      . . . I mean, THEY ARE all for “smaller federal government”. ;-)

  • Brutlyhonest

    The part not explicit in the cut government employees stuff is the hiring of contractors to do the work (for much more money up front). Of course, then it’s a business man making money like teh jeebus intended.