The War Is Over

The president today:

“I can report that as promised, the rest of our troops in Iraq will come home by the end of the year,” Obama said. “After nearly nine years, America’s war in Iraq will be over.

“Over the next two months our troops in Iraq, tens of thousands of them, will pack up their gear, and board convoys for the journey home. The last American soldier will cross the border out of Iraq with their heads held high, proud of their success, and knowing that the American people stand united in our support for our troops. That is how America’s military efforts in Iraq will end… Today I can say that troops in Iraq will definitely be home for the holidays.”

The war in Iraq is over. However, the blowback from the most ill-conceived foreign policy decision of our time has barely even begun.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Iraq and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • JackDaniel07

    justlikebush™

      (except you forgot the hashtag)

    • JWheels

      Please tell me that’s sarcasm and you do not equate the most liberal president in a generation with GWB.

      • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_YM23FX2FBZEC3UVDPZRGCUBIZ4 staci

        JackDaniel is one of the strongest (and brightest) voices we have on our side on this blog. I’m fairly confident he was being sarcastic.

        • JWheels

          Thank you for clarifying staci, my “sarcast-o-dar” is off today!

          Muselet, I’m not up on the latest online-isms but thanks for explaining… I never thought I’d feel this out of it at 27 haha

          • JackDaniel07

            hahha no sweat…just today a designer buddy of mine told me he is brainstorming the internet’s first sarcasm font hahahah

            that should solve it!

            edit: and thank you staci!

      • muselet

        It’s sarcasm. The little ™ sort of gives it away.

        –alopecia

    • villemar

      Pffft. Obama is infinitely worse than Bush and Hitler and Pol Pot and Vlad the Impaler and Beelzebub combined. Here are a couple angry didactic yelly facts I got from my hero Glenn Greenwald (for any of you drooling, asshole lemming cultist slaves of Barry Obomba who dare still support this war criminal):

      1) Obama has gotten us into elevendy kajillion illegal wars on top of getting us into Iraq illegally in the first place.

      2) This is purely a cynical, blackhearted ploy by Obama to appear to move leftward to applease his true pure progressive base (the only constituency that voted for him and for whom he is solely and exclusevely indebted to and must govern exclusively for despite backstabbing us literally 24/7 since January 21, 2009). And that’s only because truth warriors like Glenn Greenwald pushed him to do this. Which doesn’t count anyway. Also, the Iraqis kicked him out anyway. Also, Obama sux, fuck you Obamabots.

  • Brutlyhonest

    I hope they don’t reach a last minute SOFA and our stay is extended. It gives me indigestion every time I think about what an absolute cluster “dick & rummy’s excellent adventure” was even from the planning stage.

    We could have been out of Afghanistan by now, too, if not for all the assets wastefully shifted to Iraq.

  • morningsky

    Now let’s make it a twofer and get the hell out of Afghanistan while the gettin is good.

    • John Davoll

      Considering how long its taken us to get out of Iraq, I’m not anticipating us out of Afghanistan any time soon, unfortunately. Still, good news is good news.

  • Ned F

    Really? Wow, that’s a really good thing. Finally. Of course we will all be informed (by Fox) it’s just a campaign stunt, right?

    • D_C_Wilson

      Mittens today called it either a “cynical campaign ploy” or a failure or leadership. Yes, that’s the new republican talking point. Taking our troops out of one of the biggest debacles since Vietnam is a bad thing in republicanworld.

  • holyreality

    I have not seen the invective, “cut and run” used so far……