An Extraordinary Statesman

Prior to yesterday’s vote which saw the Senate Judiciary Committee approve the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), Senator Al Franken had a few words to share with Senator Chuck Grassley.

Senator Al Franken, killing them with respect.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in LGBT and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • laddieluv

    I live in Minnesota.

    And I can say, unequivocally, that I love Al Franken. So much.

    Goes way back to his Stuart Smalley days. grins.

    And I’d like to remove body parts of my choosing from those paint-chip-eaters that insisted Mr. Franken was not “fit” to be in the senate ‘cuz he was a “comic.”

    Bite me, rethugs et al.

  • bphoon

    Every time something like this happens–and it happens with some regularity with Sen Franken–I just puff up with pride at having had some small part in getting him elected. People say there aren’t any more true patriots left in Congress. When I hear that I immediately think of Al Franken. We need many, many more like him.

    • West_of_the_Cascades

      Like Elizabeth Warren, coming soon to a Senate near you.

      I also really like my newest Senator, Jeff Merkley — not as telegenic as Al Franken, but doing some good things fairly quietly. If he wants to keep the seat, Oregon will elect him for a long, long time.

  • muselet

    For whatever reason, few bother to take on the silly “marriage has always been …” argument. Al Franken eviscerated it, quietly and politely, before the Judiciary Committee and in doing so made it clear just how easy the argument is to rebut (he and his staff couldn’t have needed more than five minutes with the googles to prepare).

    Bravo, Senator Franken! A masterful performance. Bravissimo!

    Great comments.

  • mrbrink

    This is one of my favorites.

    Senators Bernie Sanders and Al Franken school Rand Paul and wingnut philosophy with him.

    • burbank_burt

      MrBrink… Thanks for the link.
      (also thanks for allowing me to be an instant poet)