Fail of the Day

New Mexico Secretary of State Dianna Duran, for this.

New Mexico Secretary of State Dianna Duran came into office saying her state had a vote fraud “culture of corruption” and pointed to 64,000 voter registration records that she claimed were probable cases of fraud. Now here report is out and her office managed to find 19 people in the entire state which she alleges voted illegally.

Meanwhile, voter ID laws are being concocted across the country under the guise of similar accusations. The accusation that voter fraud is rampant. And in each case, fraud is either several limited or statistically non-existent.

If you want to know why voter ID laws are often referred to as simply a poll-tax, look no further. Justifying these laws with claims of fraud is a misnomer. The real justification is voter suppression, because when voter turnout is high, Democrats tend to win.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Epic Fail and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • sherifffruitfly

    (shrug) We all know the purpose is, and is SOLELY, to keep non-whites from voting. Not sure why we even bother pretending there’s another rationale for it.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Shhhhh. We have to speak in code now. Lee Atwater detailed all that out years. ago.

    • imavettoo

      Her name is Duran, awfully non-white sounding to me. Hispanic Republicans are as unexplainable as Black Rethugs.

  • Clancy

    Even worse, she only found 19 people over an eight year period. So, totally worth it.

    • D_C_Wilson

      That’s an even worse return on investment than Rick Scott found in drug testing all welfare recipients.

  • muselet

    A mountain was in labour, sending forth dreadful groans, and there was in the region the highest expectation. After all, it brought forth a mouse.
    –Phædrus: Fables, iv.22,1.

    Does this sound defensive to anyone else?

    “To those who say that vote fraud (if it does exist) is ‘insignificant,’ our answer is that no instance of vote fraud, or ineligible registration, or ineligible voting, is now, or ever will be ‘insignificant’ to this office. Every single vote cast by an ineligible voter cancels and invalidates a vote cast by a legal voter, and leaves that law-abiding citizen completely disenfranchised. It may also alter the outcome of an election. That is the sober reality of the electoral system. We will continue in our mission. Our Constitutional duty is clear.”

    –alopecia

    • http://www.dlancystreet.com reginahny

      Bit dogs holler.