Fail of the Day

According to the Center for American Progress, Alabama’s harsh “Papers Please” immigration law may in fact be having the opposite effect of what its progenitors intended. Or so one would assume.

The Center for American Progress is out with a new report on the devastating effects of Alabama’s harshest-in-the-nation anti-immigrant law. Among other things, Alabama’s already-fragile economy could contract by $40 million if just 10,000 undocumented immigrants stopped working in the state as the result of H.B. 56. Undocumented workers are the backbone of Alabama’s agriculture industry, and many farmers say they will be out of business by next season without those workers. The exodus of immigrants has already created a labor shortage, and crops are rotting in the field. Additionally, the state could lose up to $130 million in tax revenue from the exodus of undocumented immigrants, which is the amount they paid in state and local taxes in 2010.

Yeah! The free-loaders are leaving!

Oh. Wait. They paid $130 million in taxes in 2010? And now the state economy is going to shrink by roughly $40 million or more? And the price of Pecans is going to skyrocket?

The biggest crop in the state of Alabama during November and December is Christmas trees. Are the Republican sponsors of H.B. 56. the true masterminds behind the War on Christmas?

Maybe we should have thought this whole “papers please” thing through a little more thoroughly before jamming it through the legislature.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Immigration and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • drsquid

    So far it looks like the biggest beneficiary of Papers Please has been Virginia. They get their peanuts out of the ground AND the price skyrockets because of Georgia and Alabama. They didn’t have to do shit and they make a mint.

    I don’t know much about Alabama, but I do know agriculture is a very big deal down there and that it’s a solid Republican state. An enormous GOP FUBAR like this could flip it to the Dems. To paraphrase the song title: Don’t it make my red state blue.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Ten bucks says that their solution will be to pass an even more restrictive anti-immigration law.

    Y’all just ain’t seen Phase II of the plan yet, which is when we get all the druggie coloreds and illegal messicans freeloadin’ in prison to pick the cotton and sech. And when we arrests all the messicans what don’t have papers, we’ll just have a bigger slave labor workforce. And they won’t be messicans chasin’ after our wimmins and playin’ they loud macaca music! And on top of all that, the idjit farmers what voted us inta office will pay the for-profit prisons to have the slaves laborers come harvest stuff.

    Win-win-win-win-win!

    Yers Truly,
    The Alabama Republican Party

    • andrewdski

      Damn. And I thought the Alabama Republican Party was stupid. Turns out they are led by some evil genius named Bob Rutledge.

        Aww, shit. Done went and gived muhself away again!

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    Just to review, here are Alabama House Democrats fighting HB 56:

    http://youtu.be/8LW7pj7556k

    Here is State Senator Scott Beason, who wants to “empty the clip” on illegal immigrants and refers to black people as “aborigines” (can’t MAKE this shit up) fighting an amendment to the Senate version of the bill that would have exempted churches transporting people to worship services from having their volunteers arrested and vans confiscated:

    http://youtu.be/c_qypOeeYhk

    During the same debate on SB 256, here is Republican(!) State Senator Paul Sanford declaring the era of Big Government Republicans in Alabama:

    http://youtu.be/D0HCSEqg6c0