Foaming at the Mouth

Dr. Douglas Brinkley, a historian at Rice University, testified before the House Natural Resources Committee today on the dangers of drilling for oil and gas in the National Wildlife Refuge located in the Arctic region of Alaska.

Following Dr. Brinkley’s testimony, Representative Don Young (R-AK) completely lost his shit after being corrected by the good doctor for getting his name wrong. What came next was an epic display of unfiltered rage and cranky poo-flinging. The video must be seen to be believed.

I’ve seen few displays that express as much contempt for fact and reason as Rep. Don Young’s shit-hemorrhage during this committee hearing.

Apparently only “elitists” visit the Wildlife Refuge, and its “really nothing” other than desolate, undeveloped landscape that must be developed immediately.

Young’s assertion that the land was set aside for drilling is utterly nonsensical. The refuge was established under President Eisenhower and later expanded by congress in 1980. The expansion also included a mandate to study the natural resources of the area, but not explicitly to drill it.

Drilling the refuge would have virtually no impact on domestic energy prices.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Environment and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • agrazingmoose

    Could we stop electing idiots to Congress? Please?

    Hell, they are not only dumb-stupids, they are extremely CRASS, CLASSLESS human beings.

    I swear, I am not only embarrassed for my country, I am embarrassed for them.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1246624710 Patrick Malone

    Hey- That’s my lone representative in the US House you’re talking about!

    • muselet

      You have my sympathies.

      –alopecia

    • peonyharp

      Singing: “So come on kids, let’s flip our lids

      Higher than the moon.”

      Nice try, Patrick.

  • andrewdski

    If only there was a way to have Senator Franken on every committee in both houses of congress. I’d love to see him shred this guy.

  • Draxiar

    I thoroughly detest the idea that because people don’t live there it’s okay to drill. We are not the only living creatures on this planet damn it!

    If a caribou broke into Don Young’s house and began to eat out of his fridge and take an aromatic poo on his living room oriental rug I’m sure he wouldn’t like it, would he? How about the state claiming his land under imminent domain because a new highway had to be built?

    Aside from that, oil is archaic, dirty, and the effort to get it is adressing the problem in the wrong direction. It probably makes his fiscal portfolio look nice though…good for him >8(

    What a shitheel.

  • jmby

    What an ignorant, angry, boorish embarassment this douchebag is. And way to gang up on the one knowledgable person YOU’VE called to give testamony, rest of the Committee. Knowing Don Young isn’t even in the minority as a semi-literate-and-proud-of-it Republican in Congress makes me wonder how the President can ever hope to get ANYTHING passed, and burst with admiration that’s he’s managed to get as much accomplished as he has. I despair for our country with these troglodytes (is that too elitist?) making decisions for it.

    I’d question aloud whether these “representatives” aren’t actually mentally retarded, but I don’t want to commit a FOO-PAS.

    What a god damned asshole.

  • dildenusa

    This guy is an ignorant clown. It’s hypocritical for ignorant tea party republic congressmen to accuse college professors of living in an ivory tower.

  • andheizus

    At about the 1:47 mark he spits out :

    “it’s not the heart, it is not the heart.. it is part of the most deficit part of the area..”

    .. though not desolate as his heart, if he had one.

  • andheizus

    ‘.. not AS desolate…’ … sorry.

      If I’m not mistaken, .. though not desolate as his heart, is perfectly acceptable in non-Murrikan English.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Gah. Give Dr. Brinkley credit for being as calm as he did. If it had been me, when the committee chair asked if I wanted to continue with this panel, I would have said, “No, you’re not going to listen to me anyway” and walked out.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=771408743 John Cooper

    How did this guy ever get elected in the first place? This idiot doesn’t reflect well on the fine people of Alaska, that’s for sure. What an ass-hat! Why don’t we develop the whole of the planet and pump it dry? These types don’t have a clue…”Ivory Tower” from an out-of-touch inside-the-beltway corporate stooge? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! Make that “completely un-self-aware ass-hat”…

  • peonyharp

    Good Grief!
    Did he say “pontificators” for pontificate? I would ask somebody to translate his mangling of words but I don’t want to give this blowhard any more credence than he already doesn’t deserve…or somethin’.
    And, how come the chairman of the committee didn’t chastise this congressman for his rude manner toward Dr. Brinkley? (Call me naive.)

    I hope the NRDC is knocking at Mr. Young’s door.
    As for ANWR being “really nothing” and desolate, tell it to the wildlife, the true owners of that unspoiled land.

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    Hold out your hand. That’s Alaska. See your thumbnail? That’s all of Alaska where you CAN’T drill.

      Wow. So simple a 5yr. old could understand.

      Now if it can just be simplified so a Republican Congressman can get it….