Homeland Security Rumor Debunked — Days Ago!

And it was debunked by the reporter who’s the source for Naomi Wolf, Wonkette, Michael Moore, and all the rest of the liberals who so desperately want the president to be a bad guy they’ll latch onto any miniscule chunk of unsourced nonsense.

First, despite some press reports to the contrary, the only official DHS role in any ‘Occupy’ arrests took place in Portland. In that case, officers from Federal Protective Services (which is tasked with protecting federal buildings) assisted the Portland Police Bureau in clearing the federally-owned Terry Shrunk Plaza. Officers from FPS did make several arrests, although it’s not clear how many.

I was also assured that FPS officers only had jurisdiction on federal property and would only make arrests after the situation has been deemed unsafe or unsanitary by the General Services Administration (GSA). That agency is that is the permitting authority for protests on federal property.

What’s truly disturbing about how the story went viral is the above article was posted on November 16nine days before Wolf posted her piece in the Guardian and days before Michael Moore appeared on Countdown and spread it around. Portland and the above Ellis retraction are never mentioned in the Wolf article. In other words, Ellis had already clarified his story more than a week before Wolf’s reporting flooded through social media and Keith Olbermann’s show, and no one ever bothered to mention the clarification.

Shameful and irresponsible. Now it’s out there.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • missliberties

    Michael Moore just lost all his credibility, if he had any left after endorsing Nader in 2,000.

    Keith Olberman needs to stop worshipping at the feet of MM.

    What is sad is that even normally rational people were caught up in these nonsense, including some who should have known better.

    Can we just say flat out that misinformed populism is dangerous.

    The people who were willing to jump on this bandwagon were well groomed ahead of time with lots of impatient cynicism and long debates about how posting photos of Obama was *just like* Nazi propaganda.

    All who fell for this bullshit, should be called out and publicly tongue flogged and humiliated. And these are the people that didn’t vote in 2010, bringing us the enthusiasm gap, and the tea party leadership of all important committees in the House.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Moore lost his credibility years ago. He may be a talented film maker, but he’s always been more about hot air and self-promotion than anything else.

    • Chris Andersen

      Skepticism is a necessary component of any rational, reality based politics. And even more so when it comes to things that seem to confirm our pre-conceived biases.

      • missliberties

        I would say more like sourcing is a proper component of being a journalist. If possible please have at least two sources, and make sure the first one hasn’t pulled his story as unsound.

        • Chris Andersen

          I was talking about the responsibility of the reader.

          • missliberties

            Skepticism permeates most of what the left reads and hears to the extent that a story that sheds a positive light on this administration is given no credibility.

            Sadly some trusted sources, we once held in high esteem have fallen from grace.

  • JMAshby

    Federal officers policing a federal building! Conspiracy!

    Maybe Michael Moore and Darrell Issa should get together.

  • http://twitter.com/JPJABBER JUDI

    PEOPLE: we have to keep on spreading only the truth and facts. Investigate, research, and verify as best you can. I think that’s why we have to use Twitter as a positive force to counter not ONLY RW and FOX lies…but inconsistencies in our resources. (lord know MSM is going to only go where the $$$$ is)

    WE are not FOX. We must take responsibility for our side…keep up the good work.

  • drsquid

    Basically, the story was almost dead, just a few embers smoldering, and here comes Naomi Wolf with a gas can.

    Pure hackery. Their narrative can never fail, it can only be failed.

    • JMAshby

      Pure hackery is right.

      Naomi Wolf and Michael Moore are officially concern trolls.

  • roxsteady

    I was furious when I saw this on Countdown. I like Keith a lot but, I noticed that Moore didn’t seem to have any actual facts or names to back of his claims. I will be watching this week to see if Keith corrects this.

    • missliberties

      Keith gets way too emotionally vested in his storyline. I kind of mostly quit watching him before he made his big switchero.

      The irony that he switched stations so he could report ‘teh truth’. Oops!

  • jmby

    Michael Moore has never let fact and reason stand in the way of a good whine.

    I used to be able to overlook his simplistic single-mindedness regardless of nuanced fact and his tendancy towards shrillness, but the guy has bought into his own (self-created) savior narrative. Whatever good Moore accomplished with his earlier work is quickly becoming overshadowed by his paranoia and self-aggrandizement. He has completely lost objectivity, reason, the little journalistic integrity he did have, and consequently, credibility.

  • Username1016

    Once upon a time I respected Naomi Wolf — I thought Letter to a Young Patriot was an important book. But she ought to be ashamed of jumping on this bandwagon.

  • Cynicor

    My first clue about her article was the sentence “DHS is answerable up a chain of command: first, to New York Representative Peter King….” Uh, what?

    “And the DHS answers directly, above King, to the president (who was conveniently in Australia at the time).” Uh, WHAT?