Honesty and Integrity from a Weird Source

Sam Brownback stepped up and apologized to the high school student who joked that Brownback “sucked.”

“My staff over-reacted to this tweet and for that I apologize,” Brownback said. “Freedom of speech is among our most treasured freedoms.”

Seriously, that’s good apology. No “if anyone was offended” or “I will look into it.” No bullshit.

  • eljefejeff

    Well, he says his staff overreacted but he accepts the blame….I for one am blown away that an a-hole like Brownback would take the time to apologize for this. Kudos to him for that, and to Bob for giving space on your blog to credit him for it

    Well, I hate to be the wet rag, but surely he was aware at the time he made this apology, exactly how this was being portrayed. He damn well knew he could not win this one, so he chose to shut it down with an apology that no one could possibly argue with ……..on the face of it, anyway.

    I can’t give this guy credit for doing what is unquestionably in his own best interest. It was the only thing he could do.

    • http://twitter.com/puppy_cat Julie B.

      Bah. You should give this guy credit – he didn’t have to step up. Somewhere in all of this civil discourse has to begin, and I firmly believe it should begin in the posts and comments on the blogs we read most frequently. Nobody wins a pissing contest.

    • muselet

      It was the only thing he could do.

      I dunno. He could have gone with one of the non-apology apologies Bob mentioned. He could have claimed the whole matter was a liberal conspiracy against him. He could have hunkered down and said nothing. All methods that have been used in recent months by pols who got caught doing something dumb.

      It hurts to type this, but he did the right thing.

        alopecia……….I think that perhaps you are just less cynical than I am, which is probably a good thing. :)

        Still, remember who this guy is.

        Brownback is no fan of free speech
        6 examples of Brownback’s anti-gay record
        Brownback wants to eliminate the dept of education
        Brownback on abortion
        And of course, there is much more.
        With all due respect, I’m just saying that I don’t think I need to give the guy credit for giving in to popular opinion, and I think that you, Bob, et al, are indulging in some wishful thinking.

        • muselet

          Oh, I’m plenty cynical and I know full well what a waste of carbon Sam Brownback is. I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt solely because he could have behaved much worse—we’ll just have to wait and see how long it takes for him to revert to type.

            But alopecia, it wasn’t politically expedient for him to behave “much worse” over such a minor thing. It simply would have garnered him more unfavorable attention, and he would have gained nothing.

          • muselet

            It wouldn’t have hurt him with Righties to double down and call Emma Sullivan a stooge of the Democrat machine or some such malarkey. It would have looked awful from the outside, but within the bubble, it would if anything have burnished his image. I don’t see an obvious political downside to his behaving worse, within Kansas at least.

            If he has national ambitions (again), though, putting out the fire as quickly as possible was a shrewd move. That would also explain why he has paid staffers monitoring the interwebs for mention of his name in the first place.

            If he has national ambitions (again)

            That’s what I’m thinking.

          • holyreality

            A little slack( just a tiny bit) is all he deserves.

            Your previous list of his “accomplishments” show why he is worthy of such instant condemnation.

            Bravo

            But even a broken clock is right every so often, and if all I an say is something nice, he is a broken clock:P

            We MUST retain our humanity, even Sam Brownback demonstrated his, as fleeting and insufficient as it is, it is still there. Let’s try to show ours as often as possible.

            Thanks

          • muselet

            Do I contradict myself?
            Very well, then, I contradict myself;
            (I am large—I contain multitudes.)
            –Walt Whitman, “Song of Myself”

        Yes, it was the right thing to do. Whether it was actually sincere or he was just doing it because he knew his back was against the, only he can answer. But I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

  • Mike Huben

    He did the right thing, whether or not it was cynically calculated. I can tolerate cynicism better than I can tolerate doing the wrong thing. If only he would reliably do the right thing.

  • laddieluv

    I’m with Nicole.

    And it took him long enough.

    What a “tool.”

  • markodane

    He apologized for his staff. He,just like most, reaped the most from this apology.