Just Like Bush

The president in Hawaii yesterday set the record straight on the U.S. position regarding waterboarding:

KAPOLEI, Hawaii — President Barack Obama says the interrogation technique known as waterboarding constitutes torturing, disputing Republican presidential candidates who say they would reinstate the practice.

Obama called waterboarding “torture” and said it was “contrary to America’s traditions” during a news conference at the Asian-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit.

So would previous administration officials who permitted waterboarding be considered war criminals? I think so.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Torture and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • mikecz

    Since we are 1 year out from an election, Obama wouldn’t dare touch Iran militarily. But, from your perspective, if they were to go nuclear, should we attack them?

  • holyreality

    Bush got off the hook because President Obama wanted to “look forward”.

    Leaving a corpse in the floorboards will make for an extraordinarily stinky house. How long will waterboarding lie there waiting to be dug up and reused like a vampire?

  • Scopedog

    But, but Glenn Greenwald says that Obama is just as, if not worse than, G. W. Bush! So does David Swanson! And isn’t Obama a wimp because he wanted to look forward and not go after Bush? So that means he really SUPPORTS torture!

    …In all seriousness, though…sure, I would have loved to see Bush and Co. thrown into the dock to face charges. Sadly, looking at the real world, one would have to realize that putting the Dim Son and Darth Cheney and their crew on trial would have taken years–and let’s be honest, Obama had two choices–try to prevent the country from going over the cliff (which could be done in a reasonable amount of time) or go after Bush and Co. (which would have taken years and would have faced every conceivable obstacle from the GOP and others).

    He chose to look forward and try to fix the country. I know that it’s not what a lot of people wanted (and I still hope for Bush and Cheney to face justice), but if anyone’s got a better idea or ideas (and not the bullshit that GG and his ilk regularly shovel out), then let’s hear ‘em.

    The President is against torture. Most of the GOP candidates for President are basically wetting their pants over how awesome they think torture is. Methinks I see a clear fucking difference.