Moment of Derp

Representative Allen West (R-Batshit) professed the merits of torture during his appearance on Fox News yesterday, and to support his position, he made a reference that has left me scratching my head trying to figure why it’s relevant.

Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) pushed back on Monday against President Barack Obama’s comments this weekend condemning waterboarding, even referencing the movie “G.I. Jane,” in which the character played by actress Demi Moore is subjected to the interrogation tactic.

“The president is the benefactor of a lot of information that came from waterboarding,” West said on Fox News. “When you look at the precedent, non-state, non-uniform belligerents captured on the battlefield under the Geneva Convention are not afforded the same type of rights. We can make that determination.”

“As the president, you need to do those things which are necessary to make sure that the American people are kept safe,” the Republican congressman continued, adding, “and furthermore, in the movie ‘G.I. Jane,’ Demi Moore was waterboarded.”

This is what President Obama said over the weekend.

“It’s contrary to America’s traditions. It’s contrary to our ideals. That’s not who we are. That’s not how we operate. We don’t need it in order to prosecute the war on terrorism.”

Last time I checked, this president actually has kept us safe, unlike the Bush Administration. And he has done so without the use of torture, saber-rattling, or cowboy-style belligerence.

Perhaps the most ironic thing is, in the movie G.I Jane which Allen West references, water-boarding Demi Moore’s character didn’t work. She didn’t give up anything.

And, by the way, that was a movie. A fictional tale. And just to make sure we’re on the same page here — “24” wasn’t a reality series either.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Wingnuts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/GodIsDead Gern Blandston

    YOU SHUT UP JACK BAUER IS REAL IT SAIS SO ON MY TV MACHINE!!!

  • mzmijewski

    Torture is good. It is what Jesus or Tebow would do.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Given West’s general attitude toward women, I’d guess that he finds the idea of waterboarding Demi Moore a turn on.

    Ever since the days of Saint Ron, republicans have lived in this fantasy world where movies and TV are always an accurate portrayal of real life. I wonder if they believe he used to babysit a chimp, too.

    What amazes me is how West still uses such a legalistic justification, claiming that because these prisoners slip through the cracks of the Geneva Conventions, anything goes.

    No, sorry. The president got it right. Some things are just counter to our values as a nation. If it is wrong to torture a POW, it’s wrong to torture anyone. Finding a legal loophole doesn’t make it right.

      There is a website up called ‘All My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys’ which is hilariously devoted to lauding Junior Bush as the second coming of George Washington. The site shows a scroll-down line of photos of ‘cowboys’ like John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, The Lone Ranger, Hopalong Cassidy, the Ponderosa gang, Tom Mix, ad nauseum, leading up to ‘cowboy hero’ George W. Bush. Whoever did the site apparently didn’t realize that all of their cowboy heroes are fictional cowboys, including the scared-of-horses Bush Boy. Here’s the link, but turn down the sound so you don’t have to listen to the cheesy electronic music: http://catsprn.com/cowboys.htm

  • Corebela

    If I could ask anyone anything in the world right now, I think it may be to this man asking “what… the fuck…. does that scene in that movie have to do with anything?” I wish he would have just been more clear but I guess that is not possibly for those nicompoops!

      When you’re relying on a Demi Moore film for training, your time as an effective fighting force is about up.

  • ranger11

    Didn’t that movie kill her career? Or was it the the stripper flick? Poor Demi.

    • D_C_Wilson

      I thought Ashton Kutcher killed her career.

      • ranger11

        Serious movie career. By the time he met her it was like a Norma Desmond situation. Mutually assured destruction.

        I thought her acting killed her career?

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1246624710 Patrick Malone

    I’m pretty sure GI Jane would tell West to “suck her dick!”

    • ranger11

      And he’d oblige.

        He’d think of it first! ;)