No News is Good News

That is if your primary source of news is Fox News.

According to the latest results from Fairleigh Dickinson University’s PublicMind Poll, some news sources make us less likely to know what’s going on in the world. In the most recent study, the poll asked New Jerseyans about current events at home and abroad, and from what sources – if any – they get their information. The conclusion: Sunday morning news shows do the most to help people learn about current events, while some outlets, especially Fox News, lead people to be even less informed than those who [] don’t watch any news at all. [...]

But the real finding is that the results depend on what media sources people turn to for their news. For example, people who watch Fox News, the most popular of the 24-hour cable news networks, are 18 points less likely to know that Egyptians overthrew their government than those who watch no news at all (after controlling for other news sources, partisanship, education and other demographic factors). Fox News watchers are also 6-points less likely to know that Syrians have not yet overthrown their government than those who watch no news.

As much as I am bothered by people who pay no attention at all to current events, perhaps I should instead be thankful that they are not being force-fed by our corporate “liberal media.”

And to be clear, while Fox News is the primary culprit, the report does not rule out the other networks for misinforming viewers.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in The Media and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    Shocking, but not surprising.

    –alopecia

    • Dan_in_DE

      Exactly what I was thinking.

      We need a lot more of this kind of polling. Perhaps some day we will have a competent FCC that reinstates the responsibility of our news media to actually inform the American public. Imagine that! They would have documentation ready, if it ever happens, showing which outlets have been peddling misinformation and which have been doing better.

      Also, I’d like to know which networks viewers are becoming radicalized, espousing racist views, and so on. I think we all know who would fare poorly in that category!