Quote of the Day

“Listen, there are some people who have made the statement that — the 21st century is gonna be the — the century of China and that, you know, we’ve had our time in the sunshine. I don’t believe that. I don’t believe that at all. As a matter of fact, you think back to the 1980s and we faced a similar type of — of a situation with — with Russia. And Ronald Reagan said that Russia would end up on the ash heap of history. And he was right. Mitt, I happen to think that the communist Chinese government will end up on the ash heap of history if they do not change their virtues. It is important for a country to have virtues, virtues of honest.” Rick Perry during last night’s CBS News “commander-in-chief” debate

I want a commander-in-chief who knows that our relationship with the Soviets was perpetually on the brink of war, and our relationship with China is not.

Also, “virtues of honest”?

    “virtues of honest”

    Give the guy a break, he’s using two words that have no meaning in the Republican lexicon.

    Also, I want a commander-in-chief who knows the difference between “ash heap” and “trash heap”, which is what Reagan actually said. But then, I are edumacated and stuff.

  • Dan_in_DE

    Also too, Russia definitely hasn’t ended up on any kind of heap, ash or otherwise. The exceptionalists can repeat that as much as they like, but that doesn’t make it true. By the way, our power structure (and wealth distribution) is starting to look increasingly similar to Russia’s oligarchy. Isn’t it? At least on the Republican side, you’ve got people with all the power behind the scenes pulling strings – like Norquist and Rove.

  • muselet

    “Listen, there are some people …”

    Okay, we can all stop reading right there. Rick Perry has just set up a straw man and is fixin’ to give that ol’ boy a right whuppin’. (Of course, Perry isn’t a good enough debater actually to lay a glove on the straw man, but that’s a topic for another time.)

    A follow-up question, Governor, if I may: Who exactly are these “some people” of whom you speak? Please name three.

    Also, “virtues of honest”?

    *headdesk*

      China’s ‘virtue of honest’ right now is good ol’ God-fearin’ American corporation Walmart. I wonder if Perry realizes that — or would care if he did?

    • peonyharp

      “Please name three.”

      Too much!!

  • dildenusa

    Rick Perry has his head far up his butt. Sure, the soviet union is gone, but Russia remains a very powerful nation with a strong vibrant economy. The same with China. The question should be, what makes their economies strong and vibrant and ours on the verge of collapse? Could it be that politicians in those nations act in their national interest? Sure there is corruption in China and Russia, but the communist rulers in Beijing know they must shepherd the economy. The same in Russia. So what are we doing about that? Well, we have the tea party republics trying to tell us that government is bad for the economy. The truth is, we have turned corruption into an art form where ultra wealthy scum like the Koch Roach Brothers use their wealth to influence our political system. This has brought our economy to the verge of collapse. Now they are trying to use disaster capitalism to remove any obstacles in their quest for total power over the economy and drive the poor and working classes living paycheck to paycheck into the depths of despair.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_IXXZYGVDXUE5LTKXFAKHGN237U jimbo123

    Gee, Michele Bachmann thinks we oughta be MORE like China, what with all those folks saving for their own retirement outta their generous 20 yuan-an-hour-paychecks and no food stamps and twelve year olds working in factories and people smelting iron barefoot and all.

    So which is it, Republicans? Are the Chinese the sclerotic statist society we will leave in the dust the minute we unleash the full majesty and splendor of the Galtian free market with yet another round of tax cuts? Or are THEY pointing US the way to the glorious future we can have by simply deregulating the labor and capital markets while simultaneously imposing rigid control over peoples’ personal lives? Sheesh, make your minds up already, willya?

      The GOP loves the authoritarian aspect of China, but still thinks the cost of labor is just too damn high. Why don’t they throw ‘em all in prison for drugs over there and they we can have Chinese slave labor and not pay ‘em at all?