The Neocon Playbook

“If we re-elect Barack Obama, Iran will get a nuclear weapon,” he said. “If we elect Mitt Romney, Iran will not.” -Mitt Romney during last night’s GOP debate

Nook-uh-lur weapons! Mushrooms clouds! Booga booga!

Dick Cheney and Condoleezza Rice would be so proud.

The ironic thing is, President Obama is already doing everything the GOP nominees claimed they would do if they were in charge during last night’s debate. A wide range of economic sanctions and diplomatic measures have been deployed against Iran in an attempt to dissuade them from pursuing advanced weaponry.

What this administration has not done is openly and irresponsibly call for war. Mitt Romney is ahead of this administration in that department, but I don’t think that’s something the American people agree with.

We don’t want another war, and I’m fairly certain that sentiment is shared across the spectrum, otherwise Ron Paul wouldn’t receive wild cheers every single time he declares that we need to bring all the troops home.

Public opinion is effectively galvanized against GOP warmongering. It’s a losing issue for them going into the next election. National defense is a losing issue for them going into the next election.

    Public opinion is effectively galvanized against GOP warmongering. It’s a losing issue for them going into the next election. National defense is a losing issue for them going into the next election.

    I hope you’re right.

    –alopecia

  • dildenusa

    Fareed Zakaria is not one of my favorite persons but he gets it correct here.
    http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/13/zakaria-dont-rush-to-war-with-iran/?hpt=hp_c1

    This warmongering has nothing to do with the safety of the US. Romney is a greedy, abusive businessman. No more, no less. For him it’s nothing but business as usual whether it’s cutting jobs to raise the share price or killing people to raise the share price.

    Iran won’t get nuclear weapons under a President Romney — unless Mitt changes his mind after looking at the latest polls.

  • Mike Huben

    You forgot to menthion that the last nation to get nuclear weapons, North Korea, did so under an ineffective Republican president.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    President Obama is already doing everything the GOP nominees claimed they would do if they were in charge[.]

    It is an incredibly effective and ubiquitous rhetorical tactic by GOP politicians: promising to do things that have already been, or are already being, done; promising to “allow” things that are already legal, or to”stop” things that are not happening or that are already against the law.

    It’s been clear for some time that GOP campaign rhetoric (which includes what its media spokesmouths say) is in no way dependent on what is actually happening or what has actually happened in the real world. They will say whatever they want their fans to think and believe regardless of whether it’s true or not, whether it’s reasonable or not, whether it’s an accurate characterization or not. Promising to do things that are already being done, or to stop things that aren’t actually happening, is a particularly effective rhetorical weapon.

  • trgahan

    The only people cheering this kind of warmongering are those who will never stand in front of the bullets. Problem is, the lower and lower middle classes (where we get our “volunteer” military) are filling up with Iraq and Afghanistan vets, and they are seeing what this kind of saber rattling can really mean for their communities.

    • JMAshby

      Good point.

  • DevilInPgh

    I’m going to disagree with you here, because I still can’t see what Obama has done to limit the Iranian nuclear-weapons program, which has BTW finally been CONFIRMED by the IAEA (something that NEVER was said about Saddam’s supposed possession of WMDs). The sanctions he talks about are a complete joke, going after the smaller firms rather than after the big boys (I’m looking at you, Siemens) and the HUGE level of trade that goes on between the EU and Iran. It’s quite clear to me that nobody has the testicular fortitude to stop Iran’s quest for the Bomb. Ariel Sharon was right about this: the US should have done something about Iran back in 2003 rather than dick around in Iraq.

    And one more thing: THIS TIME Condi’s quote of “smoking gun being a mushroom cloud” is accurate, because the IAEA report is THE smoking gun. Of course, it’s probably going to get ignored like the Palmer Report, and we are all going to suffer because of the international community’s channeling of the League of Nations of the 1930s.