Time To Put the Cork Back on Bachmann's Fork

Utterly and breathtakingly stupid:

Michele Bachmann thinks America blew it by extending a safety net to millions of Americans under President Johnson’s “Great Society.” Her solution? Model the economy after communist China.

“The ‘Great Society’ has not worked and it’s put us into the modern welfare state,” she said. “If you look at China, they don’t have food stamps. If you look at China, they’re in a very different situation. They save for their own retirement security…They don’t have the modern welfare state and China’s growing. And so what I would do is look at the programs that LBJ gave us with the Great Society and they’d be gone.”

Aside from the basic absurdity of crediting a country that’s still officially communist with avoiding the pitfalls of the welfare state, it’s worth noting that Bachmann’s broad condemnation of LBJ’s legislative record is in open conflict with her own political positions.

Michele Bachmann is an elected member of the U.S. Congress and a serious candidate for president of the United States.

  • Madam1

    Why is it that GOP’ers continually use China as the gold standard when talking about “getting this country back on track”. They all do it and I find it nuts. When having a discussion about something like regulation for example, China is always the go to example of how to get things done quickly and efficiently. Pay no mind to the people bathing in highly polluted water or breathing in thick, smoggy air, or the absolute worst level of poverty imaginable. At least it gets done quickly.

    It’s as though communisim is their goal, or is it……. whoa, Backmann’s a communist. I knew it!

    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1432102542 Tim Neuenhaus

      They actually believe that China is a “free market” system without any realization that the Chinese government holds a majority stake in every company and subsidizes almost everything related to business.

      • D_C_Wilson

        Republicans love corporate welfare. Don’t let their bleating about the auto industry bailout fool you. There’s nothing they love more than to transfer the taxpayers’ money to the coffers of big business.

    • D_C_Wilson

      China is the single fastest growing economy in the world today. The fact that the majority of their businesses are majority owned by the state doesn’t compute with their Friedman/Chicago School philosophy, so they just ignore it. Maybe they’ve convinced themselves that the corporations control the government and not vice-versa. That would be their paradise.

  • http://twitter.com/themattmcd Matt McDaniel

    Michele Bachmann is an elected member of the U.S. Congress and a serious candidate for president of the United States.

    And, let’s not forget, a member of the House Intelligence Committee.

      An ‘intelligence’ committee run by the vaporous nitwit Mike Rogers (R-MI) who recently misrepresented Obama’s words on the Israel-Palestine situation in order to attack him, wants to keep Gitmo open because he thinks we’re still getting good info from people who have been imprisoned for years, is a good friend of K Street lobbyists, is funded by Big Pharma, and is a former close buddy of Jack Abramoff. Bachmann fits right in there!

  • http://www.intoxination.net intoxination

    Bachmann, who’s rise to fame was when she called for McCarthy style hearings on Hardball to investigate “unpatriotic” Democrats. Does she realize that she would be one of the first ones drug into ole Joe’s hearings if he were alive and holding them today?

    • Dan_in_DE

      How does that make any sense? Explain, please.

      • http://www.dlancystreet.com reginahny

        Since she wants to “be like China”, see?

        • Dan_in_DE

          Okay, yeah – she’s not talking about communist China though. She’s just jealous of modern Chinese authoritarianism. And rest assured, if Bachmann were around in the days of the red scare – she would’ve been on that panel with McCarthy hearing ol’ Ronnie Reagan’s testimony outing his commie-sympathizer colleagues in Hollywood.

    Michele Bachmann is an elected member of the U.S. Congress and a serious candidate for president of the United States.

    The former, yes.

    The latter, not so much. When it comes time for actual ballots to be marked, I’ll be surprised if her totals beat the top-performing write-in.

  • laddieluv

    Even though I am trapped living in this “waste of cells” district in MN, I still am shocked by the ignorant, stupid, bigoted, really dumb “chit” that comes outa’ her “pie hole.”

    And of course, there’s always her terminal case of “religious whackery.”

    Despise this piece of human dreck.

    And anyone who thinks she has functioning brain cells needs a Thorazine Big Gulp.

    *bang head here*

  • Corebela

    Too much… stupid… to handle…. ahhh

    I’d quibble about her being a serious presidential candidate, but she obviously doesn’t know much about China. I know someone who taught English there for over a year; he said the people are incredibly poor, with just a thin sliver of a middle-class that would be considered lower-middle here. Those are the Chinese who are saving a little toward retirement; the rest are relying on the ‘welfare state’ to barely get by in their old age, if they don’t die young from being worked to death first. BTW, my friend was very popular among unmarried Chinese women — they believe all Americans are rich (and he nearly was by Chinese standards on a foreign teacher’s salary of US$25K a year with housing included ), and can’t wait to marry one and get out of the country. It would be interesting to hear Bachmann explain how it would be better for this country to emulate the poverty-stricken Chinese, most of whom make around US $1.00 an hour, and how the officially atheist state would square with her professed devotion to Christianity.