Monthly Archives: December 2011

New Year Party Poppers

Artist – Nate Beeler In other news, Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli is planning to introduce emergency legislation that would allow Gingrich and Perry to appear on the state’s primary ballot. Also — Happy New Year to everyone! As tempting … Continue reading

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged , , , , , , | 4 Comments

Ron Paul: Bounty Hunter

If you believe Ron Paul is not only opposed to the war on terrorism but is also opposed to assassinating perpetrators or terrorism regardless of nationality, then you’re dreaming. Via Ashby, here’s the text of a bill introduced by Paul … Continue reading

Posted in Election 2012 | Tagged , , | 6 Comments

Chris Christie Shouts at People

Chris Christie in Iowa, evidently campaigning for vice president: “If you don’t do what you’re supposed to do for Mitt Romney on Tuesday,” Christie said, defiant in only a suit jacket against the biting cold and wind-whipped rain, “I will … Continue reading

Posted in Election 2012 | Tagged , , | 8 Comments

No Indefinite Detention. No Closure of Gitmo.

President Obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act into law today and with it issued an executive statement clarifying his objections and interpretations of the law. You can read the entire statement here, but I will highlight two sections which … Continue reading

Posted in Civil liberties | Tagged , , , | 22 Comments

Funniest Local News Bloopers of the Year

Via Sullivan, my favorite begins at around 3:16. The barely-contained rage expressed by the reporter at the end of that clip makes me laugh the laugh of all laughs.

Posted in The Media | Tagged | 2 Comments

He Didn’t Write The Newsletters? And His Book?

Are we to believe Ron Paul’s 1987 book was also ghost-written as his defenders claim the Survival Report was? If either of them were ghost-written, it must have been done by the same person, because the same themes are repeated … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , | 15 Comments

Another Reason to Not Vote for Gingrich

As if the thousands of other reasons weren’t enough, there’s this: Gingrich responded that Palin “is certainly one of the people you would look at” [for vice president] and told the caller that he is “a great admirer of hers.” … Continue reading

Posted in Election 2012 | Tagged , , | 9 Comments

Morning Awesome

MST3K Saturday – “The Day the Earth Froze”

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | 1 Comment

Highly Successful

Artist – Jen Sorensen In other news, according to the Department of Labor, jobless claims are now at their lowest level in three years. That’s obviously bad news for Democrats. Or something.

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

I Am Not A Wall Street Guy

Another day brings another whopper from the more “safe” and “electable” candidate Mitt Romney. Your Quote of the Day: “I am not a Wall Street guy, classically defined, but I am not going to quibble over definitions.”

Posted in Quote | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment

Governor Scott Walker Raises Taxes..

..on low-income, working families. In other words, the wrong people. As Wisconsinites await W-2 forms and related tax documents, hundreds of thousands of low-income families are bracing for a state budget change that will mean less money in their wallets … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , , | 7 Comments

Birtherism Still Won’t Die

Birtherism has a new advocate jokester — Matt Romney. Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has refused to release his tax returns for reasons that have been left up to us to decide, and all indicators suggest that he isn’t releasing … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , , , | 13 Comments

Fact Checking is for Liberals. And Girl Scouts.

Who says we can’t end the year with another absolutely ridiculous conspiracy and a Fox News exploitation of children? The controversy is over a section in the Girl Scouts’ media guide that advises readers to use sites like snopes.com and … Continue reading

Posted in Cable News Watchdog | Tagged , , , , , | 9 Comments

Chart of the Day

Of all ideological labels, Americans love “progressive” the most. Glenn Beck’s campaign the demonize progressivism is, for now, a failure.

Posted in Poll | Tagged , | 4 Comments

Ron Paul Would Ruin America

It appears as though Andrew Sullivan is developing a pitch for Ron Paul. Matt Stoller is, too. I’ve received quite a few emails and tweets from progressive Ron Paul supporters. And everything is leading me to this question: is everyone … Continue reading

Posted in Election 2012 | Tagged , | 96 Comments

Ironic Congressional Torrent Pirates

The same people who are destroying the internet in an attempt to attack pirates are actually engaged in the illegal downloading of copyrighted materials: In recent weeks we discovered BitTorrent pirates at the RIAA, Sony, Fox, Universal and even law-abiding … Continue reading

Posted in Internet | Tagged , , , , | 6 Comments

Morning Awesome

Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt – “What Are You Doing New Years Eve?” By the way, if you haven’t seen “New Girl” you’re missing the funniest new show of the year. (via Chez)

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | 4 Comments

I No Longer Approve This Message

Artist – Jimmy Margulies In other news, according to the Wall Street Journal, federal criminal charges are being prepared in relation to the explosion of the Deepwater Horizon oilrig in the Gulf of Mexico last year.

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged , , , , , | 5 Comments

The Great Right-Wing Overreach Continues

This is why I remain entirely unconvinced that the Republican party has any chance of winning the presidency next year. Officials in Troy, Michigan, worked for years to build a local transportation center, and the Obama administration agreed to fully … Continue reading

Posted in Election 2012 | Tagged , , , | 15 Comments

There Will Be No More Teleprompters…

…in the Bachmann Administration, but there will be plenty of iPads. At a campaign stop in Creston, Iowa Wednesday, the candidate read her campaign speech directly from an iPad tablet computer. “I have a statement I would like to read … Continue reading

Posted in Epic Fail | Tagged , , , , , | 4 Comments