Are Liberals Abandoning the President?

Gallup’s answer is a big fat nope.

The president’s very first job approval rating among liberal Democrats was 83 percent, around the inauguration. Today, he’s at 84 percent, down from 87 percent at the beginning of 2011.

This would indicate that liberal support for the president has intermittently improved, contrary to what we often read online.

Which is to say, good news. Constructive criticism and rational observations appear to be winning, at least on the far-left of the party.

Whether this translates to enthusiasm during the general election remains to be seen. If liberal turnout is low, we could still have a serious problem — and strong approval doesn’t necessarily translate into large-scale turnout.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2012 and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • missliberties

    Yeah! Good to know.

    I presume this means that the purity crowd, never actually supported the President in the first place, as we see from all the rants on all the liberal blogs insisting that criticizing every breath the President takes is so very important, and that if you counter one of their ‘he isn’t progressive enough’ arguments with actual facts they cry and whine about how you are trying to silence them. (BTW that, ‘you are trying to silence me’ argument is exactly the same one that Andrew Breitbart uses! Interesting.)

    • sherifffruitfly

      What she said.

      And what he said originally too. :)

  • drsquid

    But it’s never the liberals fault! Blame the moderates! Because, something.

      …because shut up is why.

    I always love to hear how little impact the blustering bullies have.

  • Miranda

    buh…but….the emoprogs said definitely they were the base and they’re voting for Ron Paul or Ralph Nader or Bloomberg or …………………

    • Scopedog

      Yep.

      But then again…maybe it’s just the simple truth that a lot of what goes on online is either ignored or remains unknown off-line. Some of the big names in the purity crowd like Hamsher and Greenwald are big names to a rather small online crowd. In the real world, these two are barely known.

      People can see via the news that the President is doing the best job he can while facing numerous challenges. And let’s face it, the GOP competition would make a lot of people run screaming for the door.

  • http://www.intoxination.net intoxination

    This is something I’ve been trying to say. The whole notion is actually caused by a lot of self infliction. For example, I question part of HCR. Instantly that means I’m a firebagger, DINO or hate Pres. Obama. Nothing could be further from the truth. Hell I disagree with my own mother a lot, but that doesn’t mean that I hate her.

    Of course this translates into something worse. One blog posts something critical of the President then a big segment of the blogosphere attacks them. Next up the right wing blogs take notice and go “oh oh look at that!”. Finally it filters to the lamestream media, especially FOX, and they run it as “Liberal’s leaving the President”.

    (And just to clarify, no I am not talking about the actual firebaggers here. They do deserve what they get. I know better than anyone here the inner workings of that blog and can attest to that personally!)

    As far as voter turn out, that translates to enthusiasm. The inner fighting does hurt that a lot, but the biggest person who can get the base enthused is the President. It’s usually hard when a President runs for re-election because primaries are so geared towards the base and the incumbent party misses out on that. That means President Obama has a lot of work to do to get the base fired up. Come out and make some of his powerful speeches and fire everyone up. I say HCR would be a good one. Start selling things he wants to push to improve the bill. He even admitted that it wasn’t perfect and wants to improve it. Let’s start hearing those ideas. He does have the advantage of a huge bully pulpit right now, so he should use that resource to its fullest extent.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_S2FKTF3MVLASN3KN6R6ZSMIXUM Christian

    Maybe Obama’s poll numbers are up because we, first, see that the alternatives are a complete joke and, second, are rallying around the only sane choice for President.

      I agree. No matter who the GOP nominates, unless it’s Paul or Huntsman, the general public, currently now not paying much attention, will get a look at Gingrich or Romney or whoever and run screaming. Even Paul and Huntsman, though they may be more trouble for Obama, are hauling so much baggage that they, too, will wither by comparison. As someone once said, “Give me the calm black man who’s already in office.”

  • i_a_c

    Fact is, the True Progressive outrage peddlers are a tiny minority, pretty much part of the Nader Left moreso than the Democratic base.