Big Bird Must Pay For Himself. Tax Cuts? Not So Much.

Today’s episode is brought to you by the letter M. M stands for McDonalds.

That’s the vision Mitt Romney has for maintaining Sesame Street after he guts the funding for public broadcasting.

At a campaign stop in Iowa Wednesday, Mitt Romney reiterated his promise to cut the National Endowment for the Arts as well as PBS funding and other programs as part of his plan to balance the budget.

“No, we’re not going to kill Big Bird,” Romney, who said he personally “love[s]” PBS, told the town hall at a diner in Clinton, IA. “But Big Bird is going to have to have advertisements.”

Serious question — if Big Bird must pay for himself through advertisements, shouldn’t tax cuts also have to pay for themselves through a return on investment?

So far, 10 years of the Bush Tax Cuts have failed to do so. In fact the Bush Tax Cuts are single largest contributor to the national deficit. Why would the Romney Tax Cuts be any different? Why does Mitt Romney love huge deficits?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Quote and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    If a President Romney zeroed out of the federal budget the National Endowment for the Arts, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and the National Endowment for the Humanities, he wouldn’t come close to making a $1 billion dent in the supposedly scary horrible awful immoral $1.1 trillion budget deficit.

    Righty math is fascinating. Their counting scheme seems to go tens, hundreds, thousands, indistinguishable big numbers ending in “-illion”, which is why Righties have insisted for decades that we could balance the budget if it weren’t for all those millions of dollars being wasted on art and science and medicine and education (million, billion, trillion, same thing).

    Willard personally loves PBS? Somehow, I find it difficult to believe that statement.

      No worries. He’ll make up the difference by zeroing out foreign aid. That makes all the righty equations balance.

    • mrbrink

      Why can’t he say we should double the arts like he said to double guantanamo?

      Hunting and harassing Big Bird should be a federal crime.

      Seriously.

      “You’re coming down to the station, GOP.”

      • muselet

        Say “double the arts” to the average Republican primary voter and they’d look around and wonder where they’d hang twice as many Thomas Kinkade prints.

        *shudders*

        Hunting and harassing Big Bird should be a federal crime.

        I like the way you think.

        –alopecia

        • ainsleyroad

          Thomas Kinkade. Hahahahahaha!

  • janefromhell

    Brilliant: let tax cuts be sponsored by advertisers.