Frank Luntz's Orwellian Occupy Language

Luntz is the the mastermind behind the marketing of modern conservatism (marketing is their whole thing), and now he’s teaching conservatives how to stymie Occupy Wall Street with Orwellian word trickery. For example:

2. Don’t say that the government ‘taxes the rich.’ Instead, tell them that the government ‘takes from the rich.’

“If you talk about raising taxes on the rich,” the public responds favorably, Luntz cautioned. But “if you talk about government taking the money from hardworking Americans, the public says no. Taxing, the public will say yes.”

And…

5. Don’t say ‘government spending.’ Call it ‘waste.’

“It’s not about ‘government spending.’ It’s about ‘waste.’ That’s what makes people angry.”

This is the entire approach. Instead of making a case for a policy position, they scramble the debate by twisting words and selling bumper sticker slogans. And Luntz, with his Fisher-Price hair, is paid quite well to teach them how to win.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Republican Party and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • jjasonham

    Ugh. Puke.

    One of my favorites in that Luntz list is his advice not to use the word ‘capitalism’ because the majority now think capitalism is immoral. That’s quite a change from just a few years ago. We may rid ourselves of these scoundrels yet.