Gingrich Defends Confederate Flag

This shouldn’t even be a point of discussion in 2011. The Confederacy committed treason against the United States 150 years ago. Give it up, South.

At an event in South Carolina yesterday, Newt Gingrich was asked by a town hall participant to offer his views regarding the state’s decision to fly the Confederate flag at the statehouse in Columbia. The woman’s question was met with a smattering of boos from the audience.

“I have a very strong opinion,” Gingrich said, prefacing his weak response. “It’s up to the people of South Carolina.” (He then qualified his answer by assuring that he is opposed to segregation and slavery.)

There’s something incestuous about using states’ rights in defense of a flag that represented the bloodiest and conpletely racist failure of that idea in American history. And Gingrich uses the name “Lincoln” to inspire him during debates? The president who ultimately was murdered in his opposition to states’ rights? That’s rich.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    Just so we understand, South Carolina was the only state that didn’t have at least one volunteer union regiment. From the debate over American independence until the guns firing on Fort Sumter, South Carolina was always the heart of darkness in what would become the Confederacy.

    Newt Gingrich is obsessed with going backwards to re-fight history. That’s pretty much all conservatism does anymore.

      Too small for a country but too big for an insane asylum…

      But really, what’s wrong with letting the South Carolinians keep their heritage of flying this flag like they have been constantly for the past 150 years? What’s that? They only started flying it again after Brown v. Board of Education? Well, I’m sure that’s just a coincidence.

  • Draxiar

    So, if Gingrich was the president (someone save us) and the The South wanted to go their own way, what would he do I wonder?

    This is NOT a states rights issue in my opinion since South Carolina is part of the United States…key word being UNITED…and our flag is the Stars and Stripes. Fly your state flag (which, SC is a palm tree and crescent moon) fine…not the Stars and Bars. Hell, even Germany and Japan aren’t still lamenting losing WWII so stop belly aching for days no one alive today ever knew.

    What if it, hypothetically speaking, it was a states rights issue and South Carolina wanted to fly, say, a Nazi Germany flag (swastika style) or a Soviet flag (hammer and sickle style)…would Gingrich have the same stance? Doubtful methinks.

    • incredulous72

      ” Hell, even Germany and Japan aren’t still lamenting losing WWII so stop belly aching for days no one alive today ever knew.”

      Amen to that!

      I was watching this program on the History channel yesterday entitled, “You Don’t Know Dixie”; all about the southern states. I cannot tell you how many times the Civil War was brought up as reason for “the culture” of the southern states. “We had to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps after the Civil War”; “There was so much devastation in the south after the Civil War”; “Because of the Civil War . . .” BLAH, BLAH, BLAH! Some yokel even said that the north did not sustain the amount of destruction or deaths that the south sustained during the war. It was so annoying to hear these folks go on and on about the Civil War like someone inflicted the war upon them as opposed to THEY STARTED THE DAMN WAR!!!

      My family is southern and African-American (South Carolinians to boot), so I am well aware of the “culture” of the south and these confederate folks need to get over it. YOU LOST! YOU WERE WRONG! YOU’RE A BUNCH OF WHINERS! KNOCK IT OFF!

      “The South” has been trying to turn the clock back since the days of reconstruction and it hasn’t worked, although it’s taken longer for them to move forward than the rest of the country.

      • D_C_Wilson

        I’ve had many an argument with southerners who insist that it was the north who really started the war. In their alternate reality, the north was supposed to just peacefully have handed over all of the union forts (like Fort Sumter) in the south. Or that it was the north’s fault for electing Lincoln in the first place.

        Of course, half the time, I’m of the mind that Lincoln should have just said, “Fuck it!” and waved goodbye. We certainly would have been spared their constant whining over the last 150 years.

  • JMAshby

    The funny thing is — President Obama is leading Newt and Mitt in the polls in South Carolina, a place where the confederate flag is still an acceptable symbol.

  • mnpollio

    Completely agree with you on this. Could you imagine the outrage that Republicans would have if American families of German descent proudly flew the Swastika from their front porch and used the excuse that it was part of their “heritage”? No different than what Southerners do with the Confederate flag. I do not debate that they have the right to fly it from their own private properties if they are that foolish, but to argue to fly it over federal buildings as well? The Confederate flag was commissioned by the Confederate government – it was not around prior to the formation of that treasonous body and it was specifically symbolic of that institution and all it represented. Southerners can dance around the subject all they want and disguise it as “heritage” “history” and “culture”, but it is so much hogwash. They are like bugs trapped in amber, completely unable to move forward from the debacle of the Civil War (or as they still like to call it “The War of Northern Aggression”) and commence in fighting it over and over and over again, and dragging the rest of the country on their horrible joyride to try to make a different outcome. So long as people keep allowing them these little band-aids of not stigmatizing the Confederate flag and having endless re-enactments where the good ole boys get to play their “heroes”, which are naturally all on the Southern side, and hope for a different outcome, the longer the rest of the nation is forced to endure this lunacy. Enough, already!

  • Bill Orvis White

    It’s pride, not prejudice. You folk in the Northeast, the Left Coast and in foreign areas like you, Bob-just don’t get it! The honorable Speaker Gingrich is right when He says that it’s up to individual states what they wish to do, Liberal Bob. I know that the best solution to this problem is to form The Southern Coalition which would be an organization of these great states that would come together on issues that we all agree upon in this region. WE THE PEOPLE in states like Mississippi and Alabama could write our own charter that we would be dedicated to – like a section on a FAIR Tax system or no regulation on obtaining much-needed weapons caches and another one on a Pro-Life policy. We here in the South know that we are thriving because we keep Washington and its liberal elites far away from here. I’m a broken record on this, but I’ll repeat: the Confederate flag is a symbol of freedom and state’s rights which have been taken away from us. In 2013, We will get our country back. If not, then We need to think more seriously about The Southern Coaltion. Amen, Bill

    • JMAshby

      I can’t tell if this is satirical or serious. I’m going to go with satirical.

      And people say I’m pessimist…

        I think it’s serious.
        Adding……..i’m frequently wrong. :)

      • Brutlyhonest

        It has to be satire. Pretty funny, too.

      • muselet

        Tough call. It’s pitch-perfect and even has odd capitalizations, but there aren’t nearly enough misspelled or misused words to be the genuine article. Also, “I’m a broken record on this …” yet it’s the user’s first comment posted via Disqus. I vote satire.

        If it’s not satire, then this comment comes from one of the four or five dumbest human beings on the planet.

      Okay, spit it out please. Satirical? I don’t think it is, but it could be, so before I go off, how about being an adult and telling us.

      I vote “serious” and deluded.

    • Chachizel

      The ‘Honorable Speaker’? A southern coalition? Rednecks ‘taking the country back’? This post is a joke, right?

    • http://twitter.com/eaglesfanintn eaglesfanintn

      I live in the south – you’re an idiot. States like Mississippi and Alabama? You mean the fattest, dumbest states in the nation? Leave whenever you want. I, for one, won’t miss you. And if Tennessee wants to leave, I’ll gladly move to a state that wants to stay in the Union.
      Buh bye now.

        Thanks, Bob. It’s good to be right. :)

  • villemar

    BTW Those who tout Ron Paul’s anti-war stance as the reason for deifying him would do well to know that that includes the Civil War.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Ron Paul would have been one of the first to vote for Texas’ secession.