Is Huntsman the Next Flavor of the Month?

Conservatives are learning what the rest of us already knew: while Huntsman sounds “reasonable,” he’s a far-right conservative who’s attracting the attention of Erick Erickson and his ilk. TPM:

As they continue their desperate quest to find an alternative candidate to Mitt Romney, conservatives are starting to come around to Huntsman, the former governor of Utah and Obama ambassador to China who kicked off his campaign with a full-throated endorsement of the Ryan Budget.

That went largely unheard thanks to a campaign strategy that positioned Huntsman as a moderate and therefore anathema to this cycle’s GOP primary electorate. Now, perhaps, that’s changing.

Last month, the influential Erick Erickson gave Huntsman a second look, leading to a lot of tweets and discussion. Friday morning, George Will told Laura Ingraham that frustrated conservatives should start thinking Huntsman.

  • missliberties

    But he worked for Obama. He even praised him. Therefore he can not be a true true conservative.

    True conservatives hold nothing but pure hate in their hearts for this President. (I guess I could/should add that some on the far left do too.)

    I’ve been dreading this. Primarily because I’ve heard/seen too many liberals say something along the lines of “he’s not so bad……”.

    YES, he is so bad. He is far right no matter how you slice it.

    • Ned F

      I myself am guilty of this. At first I thought, oh, this guy has a brain, even speaks Mandarin, excepts climate change, sounds reasonable. Of course that made him unelectable in the primaries. So when I read up on him a bit, discovered his true ideologies, I thought, thank goodness he’s not a contender. I’m still sort of expecting Romney to come back. Wonder if Cesca is still sure of Perry?

        At least you made the effort to educate yourself re Huntsman, whereas many just hear the soundbites, i.e., “I believe in manmade climate change“, and leave it at that.

        I believe that Romney or Gingrich will be the nominee because Perry blew it.

        I don’t know if Huntsman can generate enough support from the wingnuts, but if he does, he will pose a threat to Pres Obama.

        Adding………I don’t know if Bob still believes Perry will be the nominee, but I doubt it. :)

          Yeah, I don’t think Perry will be the nominee either. But I could not have predicted that Gingrich would be doing so well at this point. Ultimately I think moneyed interests that control the GOP will win the day and Romney will be the nominee with someone who evangelical creds as VP. I can’t see Gingrich accepting such a role. I honestly think that no matter who gets the nomination that they’d ask Bachmann to run as VP–this years Sarah Palin fill-in. I can hear them now. “Hey, she has a vagina. We’ll corner the women’s vote!”

            Agreed on Bachmann. She will most likely be the choice for VP only because she has lady parts.

            Not entirely sure that Romney can pull it off, and Huntsman makes me nervous.

            I think the GOP won’t have a choice. It will HAVE to be Huntsman or Romney to give any kind of real challenge to Pres. Obama, don’t you think? Any one of the other clowns would be a cake walk.

            Palin, Bachmann, and women like them must be completely delusional to think that they are getting any traction in the GOP for anything more than their “naughty bits” and pretty faces. But I know that there are women out there that will fall for it….there’s a rube born every minute.

            I think the GOP won’t have a choice. It will HAVE to be Huntsman or Romney to give any kind of real challenge to Pres. Obama, don’t you think?

            Oh, I agree. I just don’t think that the average uninformed wingnut which comprises much of their base will get that.
            I guess we’ll find out.

      • Scopedog

        Like Nicole said, you took the time to go and look up everything about him. That’s certainly a good thing.

        It did upset me that some liberals (and people like Michael Moore) were warming up to Huntsman because he sounded sane about a couple of issues. Of course, you should not judge a candidate based on one or two issues–you have to look at where they stand or what their thoughts are on a multitude of issues. And when one does that with Huntsman, you will find out that he’s anything but a moderate.

  • JackDaniel07

    just wait…

  • muselet

    I am a bit concerned that the establishment Rs are talking up Jon Huntsman—trying to give the party its 20112 marching orders, perhaps?—at the same time Righty true believers like Erick ibn Erick are not recoiling in horror. However, Huntsman worked for the usurper-in-chief, which is probably disqualifying for Republican voters and he sounds (gasp shock horror) reasonable when he speaks.

    I don’t think it will last. Huntsman is just the latest not-Mitt.

    –alopecia

  • Chachizel

    I don’t know. Unfortunately, this is still a country of God ferrin’ christians. I still don’t see them voting for a mormon. Especially one with half a brain. I have to admit, I’ve been a little worried that his shine would kick in and he could be a challenge to President Obama, but I just don’t see him getting out of the nut ball primaries.

      Good point, one of the main objections many in the GOP base have against Romney is his mormonism and Huntsman would have the same problem. I agree, he’s lacking something…..probably charisma.