Oops

By now most of you are aware that Rick Perry’s and Newt Gingrich’s petitions to be placed on the Virginia primary ballot were denied, however new information suggests that literally half of the signatures obtained by the Rick Perry campaign were denied.

Worse still for Perry, it appears that only about half of the 11,900 signatures his campaign submitted were even valid. [...]

According to the Virginia GOP, Perry turned in 11,900 signatures, well over the required 10,000 — in years past, that would have automatically qualified him for the primary ballot, no questions asked. But in the campaign’s court filing, the text explains that Perry “submitted to the Board over 6,000 petition signatures from qualified Virginia voters,” suggesting that nearly half of Perry’s petition entries were examined by the state party and struck down.

The reasons for rejecting a signature include not having a valid address or a fake name, among other things.

In the past a simple signature was enough, but a lawsuit filed by a former candidate lead to the requirement that signatures face closer scrutiny.

The Rick Perry campaign has filed a federal lawsuit challenging the denial.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Epic Fail and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.intoxination.net intoxination

    The most amazing part about this has been the right’s continuous attempt to blame it on Democrats. They have blamed a fight against redistricting, President Obama and even the unions, when in fact it is all the GOP’s own doing.

  • http://twitter.com/eaglesfanintn eaglesfanintn

    I’m sure they’ll figure out a way to blame ACORN.

  • desertflower1

    An Newt’s were rejected….wait for it…….DUE TO FRAUD! Oh, the irony. You just can’t make this stuff up.

    • http://www.intoxination.net intoxination

      Blaming 1 guy for the fraud too! What really gets me is Virginia GOP recommended getting 15,000 signatures because of the new checking. Perry and Gingrich both ended up with a little over 11,000. Sounds like piss poor organization to me.

      • missliberties

        One guy signed a bunch of phony signatures to the tune of thousands of times! Ha! Ha! Ha! This is just priceless.

    • missliberties

      So delicious!

      I wonder how many times the GOP has gotten away with this fraud in the past? Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

    • D_C_Wilson

      Mr. Phony Awards Scam set the tone in his organization.

  • muselet

    The very best part of this story is that Rick Perry—the guy who thinks the federal government should butt out of, well, everything—filed suit against the Virginia elections board in federal court.

    –alopecia

    • BuffaloBuckeye

      Pretty amusing. I wonder how ‘activist’ he wants the judge to be.

    • missliberties

      Oh oh my! That slipped past me. The hypocrisy is so stark it is comic relief!

  • jmby

    Gingrich is still trying to change the Commonwealth’s rules for qualifying, but it’s not going to happen. In addition to the Democrats, two of the Republican leadership in the General Assembly flat out announced last night that an emergency session of the GA will not be called to deal with the issue. As Kirk Cox, the House Majority Leader and a total Republican Asshat, even said: The rules are the rules. Don’t follow them? Don’t qualify under them? Don’t get to be on the ballot.

    That Perry and Gingrich failed to qualify, and failed because of fraudulent signatures, makes this all the sweeter. The local Richmond news has picked up the story and I love hearing it broadcast.

  • BuffaloBuckeye

    And thes guys are worried about ‘voter fraud’? WTF?!

    • D_C_Wilson

      Beautiful, isn’t it? Hoisted on their own petard.

  • missliberties

    Ha! Ha! Ha!

    I guess all these new laws, to protect against voter fraud, caught the Republicans in their own net. Ha! Ha!

    I guess the GOP was projecting their own tactics when they keep making claims that Mickey Mouse signed a petition for democrats, only it was really for the GOP. Ha! Ha! Ha!