Photo of the Day

If this doesn’t make your day better, it should.

Two women — Petty Officer 2nd Class Marissa Gaeta and Petty Officer 3rd Class Citlalic Snell — honored a Navy tradition on Wednesday, sharing a kiss as the USS Oak Hill returned from 80 days at sea.

Prior to the repeal of DADT, this simply wouldn’t be possible and these women would still be living a double life.

Worse than Bush on gay rights. Clearly.

(via KatInWilm)

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in LGBT, Photography and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Scopedog

    Very happy for both of them.

    And Greenwald et al can kiss my heterosexual male ass for STILL spewing the “Obama is worse than Bush!” meme. No, he is not, and never has been.

  • http://www.perfecthindsite.com/chat.html Bobfr

    No more fitting proof of the Hope inspired by candidate Obama and the ‘Yes We Can’ performance delivered by President Obama.

    #YesWeCanDOMoreTogether – We Must! #OutPerform1936

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    But you know the president’s not REALLY into them because he hasn’t farted out gay marriage yet.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Kitty-Smith/100000047475312 Kitty Smith

    That. It is fucking awesome.

  • KatInWilm

    I love everything about this picture. Plus, it’s a totally hot kiss.

  • rgbyref

    It’s a great picture and a wonderful event. Obama’s efforts on gay rights, however, don’t make him into Mr. Wonderful. He’s not worse than Bush, either, just disappointing to voters who thought they had an actual liberal instead of another “triangulator.”

    • mrbrink

      That picture alone says otherwise.

      A great kiss, too. Maybe one of the greatest.

    • ranger11

      He’s not a triangulator. Clinton was a triangulator. He invented it. Nafta, welfare reform, crime bill, end of big government, etc. Obama is just a relatively moderate pragmatic politician. He actually speaks up for government as a progressive force. Having lived through the Clinton years I don’t get this particular criticism.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Do you have some compulsion that requires you to piss on everything Obama does?

      A few years ago, that kiss would have gotten both of those petty officers thrown out of the Navy. Give him credit for making progress. No, he hasn’t waved a magic wand and legalized same sex marriage in all 50 states, but the fact that our service personnel no longer have to choose between a career and who they are is tremendous leap forward.

      If you don’t think Obama is liberal enough, by all means, vote for the green party. Just don’t cry to me when President Gingrich or Romney reinstated DADT.

  • AtlanticCoaster

    Great. I’d been having a lousy day, this helps. Warms the cockles o’ me heart to know that either of them could easily kick Rove’s pudgy rear end into international waters without breaking a sweat.

    And “Citlalic Snell…” quite a name.

  • muselet

    If this doesn’t make your day better, it should.

    It does.

    This took place down the street from me. As a 27 year veteran of the USN, I was glad to see it. The “honor” of the first kiss for this return to port was raffled off to raise money for the a Command party. I’m particularly proud of these Sailors for having the guts to participate in the raffle in the first place, and then execute the first kiss in a dignified manner. I say dignified because teh next clip in the local newscast was of other women running to their Sailors and essentially mounting them – I admit I’ve always found this crass.

    Also on the local news tonight they were discussing this first with others on the pier. Lots of younger folks – Sailors and spouses/friends – were of the “It’s great and who cares if it’s two women as long as they do their jobs” persuasion. Some older Officer was looking uncomfortable and finally blurted out he supports Navy Policy. I enjoyed watching him squirm. And, of course, there were teh bigots who called in to the station to complain.

    I’ve been telling my peers for years that the kids will change this because they just don’t care about unimportant shit like who someone loves.

  • Chez Pazienza

    That totally made my day. Now I’m going to masturbate to this.