Photo: The Last U.S. Soldier Leaving Iraq

How many years since Bush’s “mission accomplished” speech? Unless my math is wrong — eight years, eight months and 16 days.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Iraq and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Guest

    I trust your math Bob…….. What’s unfortunate is that we seem to think that we can have the same outcome in Afghanistan. Central Asia is not Iraq. Most of the nations in central Asia (Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgistan) have no interest in civil society.

  • Guest

    The sheep dip from the tea party republic just keeps on coming………. Where will it hit next?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16237428

    • D_C_Wilson

      “I think we’re going to find that this president, by not putting in place a status-of-forces agreement with the Iraqi leadership, has pulled our troops out in a precipitous way and we should have left 10-, 20-, 30,000 personnel there to help transition to the Iraqis’ own military capabilities,” Mr Romney said.

      Really? What the fuck have our troops been doing there for the last eight years if not helping the Iraqis’ own military capabilities to take over? Are what point would Mittens be willing to say to the Iraqis, “It’s your country, time for you to protect it”?

      Never mind. I know what the answer is. Sometime after we’ve used Iraq to spearhead the invasion of Iran.

  • trgahan

    So can someone please tell me what all the killing and deficit spending to occupy that country was all about to begin with? Did we achieve a goal other than enriching government contractors?

    • Scopedog

      Well…President Bush got the chance to pull out his wang and show it to the world?

      In all seriousness, though…you raise a very relevant question. What the hell was it all for? I’m afraid the answers will remain elusive for some time.

      And just remember….in 1999-2000, we kept hearing the drumbeat of, “There’s no difference between Bush and Gore”, and “Bush is not too smart, but he’s likeable, unlike Gore, who’s too smart”. We’ve paid a very high price for that nonsense. I’ll be honest–if Gore had been allowed into the White House, nearly 5,000 Americans and nearly 100,000 Iraqi civilians would still be alive.

      Elections do have consequences.

      • ranger11

        I have learned, at the end of the day, elections are the only things that matter politically in this country. The rest is noise and bullshit.

      • D_C_Wilson

        The other we were told in 2000 was the Dick Cheney was going to be the adult in the Bush administration who would be keep his foreign policy grounded with “gravitis”.

        Had did that work out again?

  • mikecz
    • villemar

      Great article from Krugman friday about your Messiah Ron Paul:

      http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/16/opinion/gop-monetary-madness.html

      And might I add that there would be no greater poetic justice in this lifetime to see the boot of John Maynard Keynes on the face of every Austrian Homeschooler, Loonytarian, Randroid and Paultard’s face, forever.

      Stop spamming.

  • villemar

    For some reason I’m on MM’s mailing list, and his contribution to the celebration of this event is to celebrate the birth of Baby Jesus Manning. I couldn’t make up this shit if I tried.

    You know the Firebaggers, Anarchists, Loonytarians and Alex Jones Cultists will do everything they can to ignore/downplay this story, returning troops be damned. Maintaining the Obama=Hitler meme is way more important than U.S. Soldiers returning home.

  • MarshallLucky

    A senseless, disgusting waste of human life, all to satisfy the imperial vanity of a rudderless nation. Thank God this shameful chapter is finally coming to a close.

    What, if anything, have we learned?