Reasonable Republican Becomes Less Reasonable

Jon Huntsman appears to be softening on his position regarding the man-made climate crisis:

“The scientific community owes us more in terms of a better description of explanation about what might lie beneath all of this. But there’s not information right now to formulate policies in terms of addressing it over all, primarily because it’s a global issue.”

It’s not a total walk-back, but you can tell he’s trying to leave some doubt for the far-right wackaloons, who refuse to believe what nearly every scientist regards as fact, simply because liberals have traditionally believed it.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Environment and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • ranger11

    I guess he really wants to become president in 2012 and not 2016. Who knew?

  • agrazingmoose

    Huntsman is as big of an ass as the rest of the Republican field. I didn’t know until yesterday that his father is basically funding his campaign single handedly through a super-pac.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_KQVTT3LNW5O3R26AG2RLIFWYZQ Lunatics

    “The scientific community owes us more in terms of a better description of explanation about what might lie beneath all of this.”

    This is actually very true. Scientists are notoriously terrible at effectively communicating to the public the science. It’s one of the reasons why Climate Change is even doubted right now…the scientists can’t effectively communicate it, and the corporations who would be negatively affected by policy changes are devilishly adept at communication, so as a result the “skeptics” are winning the argument, despite ALL OF THE EVIDENCE pointing to the contrary

    “But there’s not information right now to formulate policies in terms of addressing it over all, primarily because it’s a global issue”

    This is unequivocally false. The information is there, people just refuse to believe it. Getting people to believe that climate change is anthropogenically forced is difficult because it’s mixed in millions of years of natural climate change forced by things like volcanic eruptions. But regardless, the information is overwhelmingly there. Climate models are getting better, and they still point to the same conclusions they have been pointing to for 20 or more years now…that human sources of CO2 is the major driving force. The current rate of global temperature increase is unmatched in earth’s history. There is an abundance of indirect evidence that this is true (sea ice melting, one example). Does anyone read the IPCC anymore?

  • MrDHalen

    What I find most interesting in the climate change debate; are the people who either don’t believe or trust scientist, live in a world dominated by scientific discovery and engineered application of that discovery. They will trust their lives via food, transportation, communication, and many other aspects to the scientist and engineers, but not on this topic.

    I think the scientific community has been very clear on the discovery of what is going on, but the engineered application or how we use this information is where “WE” are failing ourselves and especially our children.