The Bush Era is Finally Over

There has been a Bush involved in every general election since 1948. Except 2012. So far. TPM does the list:

2008: George W. Bush is the term-limited president.

2004: George W. Bush is the incumbent president, winning re-election.

2000: George W. Bush is elected to the presidency, though losing the national popular vote.

1996: George W. Bush is the governor of Texas.

1992: George H.W. Bush is the incumbent president, but loses re-election.

1988: George H.W. Bush is elected to the presidency.

1984: George H.W. Bush is re-elected Vice President of the United States, on the Republican ticket with Ronald Reagan.

1980: George H.W. Bush is elected Vice President of the United States, on the Republican ticket with Ronald Reagan.

1976: George H.W. Bush is the country’s Director of Central Intelligence, having been appointed to the office by President Gerald Ford.

1972: George H.W. Bush is the country’s Ambassador to the United Nations, having been appointed to the office by President Richard Nixon.

1968: George H.W. Bush is a Congressman from Texas.

1964: George H.W. Bush is the Republican nominee for Senate from Texas, losing to incumbent Democrat Ralph Yarborough.

1960: Prescott Bush — George H.W. Bush’s father — is a Senator from Connecticut.

1956: Prescott Bush is re-elected as a Senator from Connecticut.

1952: Prescott Bush is first elected as Senator from Connecticut, winning a special election held at the same time as the presidential race.

1948: Here we are — as near as we can tell — the last time that a member of the Bush family did not currently hold, or run for, a significant national or state office.

American oligarchy.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2012 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • JMAshby

    You could also insert Dick Cheney in there starting in 1969 up to 2008.

    • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

      No, don’t insert Dick…

  • holyreality

    Well, ifn’t y’all hate Amurrrrrica, why don’t ya just up and leave?

    OTOH,

    It is about time we have none of Prescott’s progeny in major office.

  • gescove

    What about Jeb Bush? Governor of Florida from 1999 to 2007. Just in time to engage in massive vote suppression and hand the presidency to George. I suspect he’ll be popping up again like one of those annoying rodents in Whack-A-Mole.

    • D_C_Wilson

      I think Jeb is hoping to be the final spoiler. Once all the clowns have finished hitting each other in the face with their pies and Mitt is the last one standing, he’ll rush in a save the GOP from the faux Christian in magic underwear.

    Yeah, what about Jeb-boy? He could side-step straight into the Republican nomination even now if he wanted it. He is the walking, talking poster child for the republican southern strategy.

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    “Bush league”?