Victory for Animal Rights

Sullivan reports some good news for chimpanzees:

The National Insitute of Helath, in response to an Institute of Medicine (IOM) report, has suspended any new research using the animals, allowing it in the future only “when absolutely indispensable, and when no other alternatives exist.”

There are a variety of animal species that ought to be off limits, including dogs and primates. I’m glad we’re at least starting with our closest relative in the known universe.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Animal Rights and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1595815296 Teddy Zartler

    I am going to go ahead and disagree with you there. I vehemently dislike animal testing, but I also work in the pharmaceutical industry so I also understand its extreme value. NHP (non-human primate) studies are so valuable I do not understand how you could ever get rid of them. They are very expensive and only done after extensive testing in other animal models. So, it’s not like they are done willy nilly. Additionally, if you are developing a new pediatric vaccine against something like Dengue or meningitis, would you want to know that it is effective in our closest animal relative before putting it into children in the clinic? I can go on and on, but I won’t.

  • jmby

    NPR did a very in-depth piece on this last week. The NIH made it very, very clear that, with the exception of HepC research, there is almost NO valid reason to test on chimps, and that the medical science community as a whole feels it is rapidly approaching a time when animal testing is obsolete. I have a friend who was on the team that found the breast cancer gene link between mice and humans, and another doing research on Parkinsons, and both staunchly agree that animal testing on primates – especialky chimps and bonobos is not necessary in 99.999% of cases. Despite the pushback from Big Pharma.

  • laddieluv

    Am a huge animal rights person. Very huge.

    Believe no animals should be used in any testing whatsoever.

    We have death row inmates.

    And republicans.

    Let’s start with that Ron Paul supporter that wants to kill President Obama and his wife. Openly called for the death of our President on this treasonous idiot’s Facebook page. http://www.addictinginfo.org/2011/12/18/ron-paul-supporter-openly-calls-for-assassination-of-president-obama-on-facebook-page-image/

    We have TONS of useless people.

    Innocent, defenseless creatures should not be tortured and killed. Ever.

    Please.

    “If we cut up beasts simply because they cannot prevent us and because we are backing our own side in the struggle for existence, it is only logical to cut up imbeciles, criminals, enemies, or capitalists for the same reasons.” ~C.S. Lewis

    Btw, I’m an”old” lady. Retired teacher. Firmly set in my ways and opinions. You’ll never change my mind.

    And I post here for “therapy.” grins.