Will Herman Cain Quit Today?

Herman Cain is supposed to announce his intentions today, and I think he’ll give up. Not only because of the affair, but also because he’s losing his mind. I envision him wandering aimlessly through hotel hallways — naked — searching for room “999” while muttering the same.

By the way, it’s revealing that an affair is cause for Republicans dumping this guy, and repeated instances of sexual harassment where there are legitimate female victims isn’t a cause for dumping him.

  • http://anibundel.wordpress.com/ anibundel

    I said this over at TNC’s, but I’ll say it again here–I’m giving Republicans the benefit of the doubt on the “dropping him after a 13yr affair, rather than after the sexual harrassment/assault claims.” I feel like they dropped him here less over the affair than because it was “the other shoe.” (The third shoe, if you want to count the Libya fiasco.) Also, the mistress had indisputable proof. The harrassment/assaults were all individual “he said-she said.” There were no phone bills, no eye witnesses. They could be individually denied. No one could deny White’s story. She had proof on paper, with a phone number *he answered* when the reporter called it. No one could smirk it away.

    • Robert Scalzi

      I wholeheartedly disagree w/ your assertions that the victims of Cains harassment were not credible and it was some sort of he said she said crapola . There were 2 settlements paid to to victims before any of the rest of the trash that is Herman Cain came to light… So …… what of it ?? the teathugs and misogynists that make up the (R) party are just that …Thugs and misogynists

      • http://anibundel.wordpress.com/ anibundel

        Whoa. Can we escalate downward a little bit here? Nowhere in my comment did I assert that the victims were not credible. I simply was pointing out that the circumstances of the first women to come forward were such that republican pundits has a much easier time going on television and spreading doubt about their story. By the time White showed up with evidence that no one could dispute, after several harassment/assault charges had come up, and coupled with Cain’s remarkably embarrassing Libya moment, there was no longer a good way for the ‘heads on TV to spin this.

        As a side note, there’s no need to name call. That just drops us down to their level.

        • Robert Scalzi

          Really ?? I think my assessment of the Thugs and misogynists on the right is Spot on… I Call em as they are . Wish the Media would too.

          • http://anibundel.wordpress.com/ anibundel

            Dude, calm. The excessive punctuation does not help you look rational. I think “member of the tea party” is enough of an insult. No, you’re not calling me names, but you are calling people names, unnecessarily. I think anyone who uses phrases like “teaheadist” or “teathug” is just undermining their own argument.

            Good day to you sir.

          • Robert Scalzi

            funny how you are offended by teathug and the like but you still read this blog…. Some very similar adjectives have been used in the articles but I haven’t seen you criticize any of the authors. yet you criticize me… oh well.

            You’re jumping the shark.

            And, most of us who comment regularly here have no qualms about calling the wingnuts what they are.

          • laddieluv

            Besides, it’s our “therapy,” n’est-ce pas?

            giggles.

      • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

        I don’t think anibundel is denying the legitimacy of harassment charges. Put another way: it was easier for GOP voters to rationalize the harassment charges than the affair. I’m not sure I agree with that analysis myself, since Cain’s numbers started dropping a week after the news broke. Personally, I think his downfall had more to do with the color of his accusers than their credibility.

        • http://anibundel.wordpress.com/ anibundel

          Thank you. I agree that race definitely played a part in Cain’s rise and fall, but then again, this is America, where race plays a part in everything.

  • Clancy

    Agree with your last sentence. Definitely reflects the strange priorities of the GOP.

  • laddieluv

    Not enough Thorazine on the planet for rethugs/gopers/baggers/wingnutz et al.

    blech.

    “In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican.” ~H.L. Mencken

    Eh, within a week it will be Accepted Truth that he was never a serious candidate anyway. You know, like it’s Accepted Truth that True©Conservatives® never supported GW Bush.

  • muselet

    Is this the opportunity Jon Huntsman has been waiting for?

    –alopecia