Your Law and Order Party

Tea party governor Tom Corbett cut 10 percent of the state police force.

Imagine calling 911 for the Pennsylvania State Police and not seeing a trooper for hours, even days.

It’s a scenario that state lawmakers and troopers foresee if the department’s budget is cut 5 percent next year, forcing what would be the first layoffs in the state police history.

An internal department document obtained by The Patriot-News forecasts the potential for 400 to 500 trooper layoffs under a budget proposal to trim the department’s spending. That’s approximately 10 percent of the nearly 4,400 troopers currently employed by the department. The cuts would also force stations around the state to close.

You know, because austerity is more important than anything else, including public safety.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/JimmyAbra Jimmy Abraham

    911 service is on of those things that we take for granted and I like to think something we have over countries that don’t. There have been some flaws but not enough to get any kind of (rational) distrust in the system.

    I have been to another country that is, dare I say, more “libertarian,” also coincidentally (??), less trusting of government than us. I saw an awful accident and asked my hosts if we should help or at least notify emergency services. The answer was a flat out “No!” They don’t do that there – help or notify. If one does they are the automatic suspect of causing whatever happened and would most likely face social or legal consequences. Having the services to call and the freedom to help and not be blamed are great things. I can not tell you how much seeing an awful situation and not being able to do anything can haunt you. (if also should be noted a common thought about health insurance in the country is bad because they don’t see the purpose of paying money to guarantee services if you don’t plan on using it, thus only paying for others’ services)

  • http://www.facebook.com/rycarson Ryan Carson

    It wasn’t so long ago that the conservatives’ argument was that the problem with government was too much federal control; that if we left most things to the states then all would function better. Indeed, that argument sorta lives on today (see Mitt’s hair splitting distinction between Mass. health care and ACA).

    But, because states around the country have balanced budget amendments and cannot deficit spend, you get dumb shit like this happening. Perhaps those making the argument were simply craven and figuring if you can force policy down to the states, it will eventually lie unfunded.

    If you can’t afford your own private security force, you don’t deserve to have your things protected.

  • Monique Yeaton

    Yes, let’s cut public employees like police and teachers because “they cost too much and make too much money.” Unlike the CEOs and investors on Wall St, who brought down the world economy and yet get million dollar bonuses on top of already outrageous salaries! And heaven forbid we do anything to bring the tax bracket on the richest back to pre-Bush II levels, because that would bring down the economy… oh wait, too late…